Author Topic: I have a baby viper in a plastic container.....  (Read 9436 times)

cocopops

• Acre
I have a baby viper in a plastic container.....
« on: April 20, 2009, 18:24:55 »
One of my cats bought it in yesterday and we thought it was dead.  Put it in a plastic container with lid and got the neighbours to confirm it was a viper/adder.  It obviously isn't dead as it keeps moving.

I would like to keep it (dead) as reference against grass snakes and slow worms.  I really don't fancy leaving it to suffocate but putting it in the wood burner seems wrong.  Apart from flushing it down the septic tank or drowning it in either water or beer (like slugs) I am stuck.  It is about a foot long. 

My children always wear wellies outside and know that the cat must have found a nest.  Grass is short.

Any ideas (no rescue centres, here)

TY Coco

Kea

• Hectare
Re: I have a baby viper in a plastic container.....
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 18:34:55 »
You had better find someone who can help you really quick, you can't keep it and you must not harm it as adders are a protected species and you could face a very hefty fine.

Contact your nearest wildlife trust
 http://www.wildlifetrusts.org/

susan1

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 18:36:44 »
just found this
MOST IMPORTANTLY - DO NOT TRY TO HANDLE ADDERS OR PROVOKE THEM IN ANY WAY.

Adders are protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.

It is an offence to kill, harm or injure them

sell or trade them in any way

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 18:41:35 »
sorry I forgot to mention that I live in Brittany, France.  It is nornal to use an axe but I would not like to give it an opportunity to escape.  This is the first one in three years and they are not common.

There is no protection here for them ,it is just my wsh to keep it intact to identify other by.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 18:51:45 »
Is this a wind-up?

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 18:57:56 »
Why can't you photograph it instead of assuming you have the right to end it's life?
Smile, it confuses people.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 18:59:15 »
Let the poor thing go  ::)

ETA: It's not a Black Mamba for goodness sakes. And if you 'want other to identify it by' look in a book.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 19:02:58 by Trixiebelle »
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 19:05:00 »
I have just come in from a lovely day at the allotment enjoying the company of the wildlife we have up there and I don't really want to come home to read posts like this.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

phoenix_co2

• Quarter Acre
  • Never a dull moment
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 19:10:01 »
Let it go, it is extremely inhumane of you to treat it in this way and I am personally disgusted that you are thinking of killing it

impkin

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 19:16:55 »
you should let it go. If you are worried that it poses a risk take it as far away as possible.

I think its good to teach children that every animal has a purpose and a right to live.

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 19:23:47 »
From wikipedia:

Systemic symptoms resulting from anaphylaxis can be dramatic. These may appear within 5 minutes post bite, or can be delayed for many hours. Such symptoms include nausea, retching and vomiting, abdominal colic and diarrhoea, incontinence of urine and faeces, sweating, fever, vasoconstriction, tachycardia, lightheadedness, loss of consciousness, shock, angioedema of the face, lips, gums, tongue, throat and epiglotis, urticaria and bronchospam. If left untreated, these symptoms may persist or fluctuate for up to 48 hours.[4] In severe cases, cardiovascular failure may occur.[2]

They are a threat, I have 2 children, 3 cats and 2 dogs, plus hens.  I did not ask for this snake, there is a nest somwhere close.  I need to identify a potentially lethal snake or a harmless look-a-like.  I rescued all my pets but come on ::)

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 19:29:21 »
You would be better to teach your children that some things in life are dangerous and shouldn't be touched or played with.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 19:33:16 »
I did not ask for this snake

No, and it didn't ask for your 2 children, 3 cats, 2 dogs and hens either!

Leave the bloody thing alone and do something positive like educating your kids to recognise and appreciate the wildlife around them. Cats, dogs and hens can look after themselves. It's commonly known as 'NATURE'.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2009, 19:36:22 »
My children were brought up on the coast of the Red Sea. We had cone shells (lethal), chicken fish (lethal), Portuguese men-of-war (nasty, sometimes lethal) and sharks.  They learnt from the start what they could and couldn't touch, and still managed to enjoy the beach.  And live to their 40s. 

A healthy respect is needed for all wildlife - it's not the snake's fault it's in your way.  :) :) :)

BTW - I draw the line at rats  ::) ::) ::) ::)
The Tuscan Beaneater

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2009, 19:41:44 »
I did not ask for this snake

No, and it didn't ask for your 2 children, 3 cats, 2 dogs and hens either!

Leave the bloody thing alone and do something positive like educating your kids to recognise and appreciate the wildlife around them. Cats, dogs and hens can look after themselves. It's commonly known as 'NATURE'.

Yes I did ask for the forementioned children and animals.  If you want it you can have it.  Look at my previous posts to see what I have rescued.  I am stuck with this snake but I am not releasing it as it is a threat.  I thought this site would be more forthcoming about 'nature'.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2009, 19:47:26 »
I have just come in from a lovely day at the allotment enjoying the company of the wildlife we have up there and I don't really want to come home to read posts like this.
bless ya!
i know what you mean,ive left OH up there desperately trying to save the newts and taddies (leaky pond just discovered) he has been in a right state all day worrying about their welfare,so yes,not pleasant reading for me either
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2009, 19:49:35 »
You would be better to teach your children that some things in life are dangerous and shouldn't be touched or played with.

Ollie you have posted many threads about your new hens for your children.  If you had a viper/adder in your garden would you worry??  Mine are really into nature, daughter(8)  helps milk the cows next door every evening.  A viper bought in by the cat is not my choice.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2009, 19:54:44 »
Have a word with the cat then! It's his/her responsibility.

And BTW: Cow's aren't 'nature' - they're domestic animals!

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2009, 19:56:13 »
As everyone else has said--- let the poor thing go.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2009, 20:00:43 »
My mother was hospitalised as a child when she was bitten by one... one that she had picked up and was playing with. We were told the story as children, as a warning about messing with wild animals. IIRC, she was actually in hospital for about a month & was pretty lucky to survive.

I've seen them in the wild a few times - notably one occasion in the Ardeche area when we were paddling in a river & saw things swimming away from us. We looked a bit closer & it was absolutely heaving with adders! We walked slowly to the bank, and didn't paddle in that bit again! Any other time I've seen them, they've been running away!

I would worry if I had one in the garden, and I understand why you are, but I would take it a few miles away and let it go.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal