Author Topic: What are your allotment jobs today?  (Read 8276 times)

skyblu

• Quarter Acre
Re: What are your allotment jobs today?
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2009, 16:35:38 »
another assault on the marestail colony is always on our list of 'jobs to do' **** it!  ::)
http://packdoughty.wordpress.com/  gardening and greyhounds....

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2009, 16:38:14 »
marestail           :o :o :o :o :o

NASTY
i don't belive death is the end

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2009, 16:48:55 »
Thats reminded me about Coriander and parsley as well, need to get the next batch going!
I've been meaning to make a measuring stick - a bean pole with 2", 6", 12", 24" etc marked on it with a marker pen. Think it will be easier to use than a ruler/tape measure etc on the plot (got the idea from another thread on here...) also plan to re-pot the chillies and get some more peas (done in loo rolls of course  ;D )
Now lets actually see what I get done.......   :-X

Well didn't bother making the measuring stick bought a collapsible ruler from a cheap shop for a quid ;D  Did do the chillies and some peas. But forgot the coriander and parsley...

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2009, 17:13:15 »
Marestail is just showing. Have decided it is impossible to dig it all up, so am just cutting of the tops as they show through.  Had a dream/nightmare about it last night.  Surely someone, somewhere must want to buy it for medicinal use, then I would gadly harvest it.  We have got a Council skip coming soon, so I cut down all the minature trees that I had in hanging baskets five years ago, that are now taller than me.  Remind me not to plant unwanted shrubs on the allotment, throw them away, or else in 5 years time they are a problem to pull up.  Have got some horrible grass (the one that is sharp and cuts your hands) and grows in a great big clump.  That has become impossible to remove and is seeding.  Think I may have to poison it.  The rosemary that came from a pot has now got a bit out of hand.  Minature rose is no longer minature.  Oh well, don't mention the Christmas tree.  Have now got a big pile for the skip, most of it especially the minature!!! fir trees will not compost too well so a bit more work with the secateurs.

skyblu

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2009, 09:19:07 »
Marestail is just showing. Have decided it is impossible to dig it all up, so am just cutting of the tops as they show through.  Had a dream/nightmare about it last night.  Surely someone, somewhere must want to buy it for medicinal use, then I would gadly harvest it......

We're taking the same approach.  I read that if you keep cutting it off about an inch below the surface it will 'eventually' weaken or even *gasp* die off!  I've yet to see any evidence of that but will keep at it.  Why can't slugs love the stuff?  problem sorted!
http://packdoughty.wordpress.com/  gardening and greyhounds....

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2009, 13:13:56 »
Having planted out most of my Kelsae onion plants yesterday (they've been in 3" pots outside the greehouse for the last few weeks) today is the day the jerusalem artichokes that are just showing in their 6" pots go in along with some Welsh Onions that I got a month ago off ebay and split into four an dput in pots..... they've doubled in size and then some ......Next up is shuffling the tomatos and peppers up a pot size, planting out the peas and broad beans that are currently germinating in pots in front of the GH and potting on/planting out a load of hardy veg that I've sown in modules in or in front of the GH..... then there will be thwe whole malarkey of getting the Asparagus sorted out as it ahs started to show..... I put 100 seeds split out in a 40-module tray and I seem to have a fair few through..... will need to get a big bunch of pots sorted out to grow them in so I can sex them..... I only want the males for the permanent bed, the females can get sacrifieced as forcing next year (and if any survive that then the year after too)....

chrisc

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2009, 17:06:31 »
Barrowed some grass cuttings and did a bit of digging. I'm working on a patch which has always had a bit of couch, but there's very little there this year, so hopefully that's the end of it.

dingerbell

• Half Acre
  • A very productive morning
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2009, 08:04:37 »
What a productive week. It all started on Saturday when I went to our local auctioneers to bid on a petrol mower...which I didn't get..BUT I paid £20 for an old garden shed with no roof and £12 for some folding stacking wooded storage containers. The last 2 days were spent making a new compost box and putting up the shed. In lieu of a new roof, I used some clear corrugated plastic sheets which means I now have a giant propagator/shed. The joyous part was that while building the shed my friendly lottie Robin kept popping in to check on my progress..I hope she likes my new addition. My lottie neighbour donated some Raspberry runners which were taking over her patch, planted them  and moved all my pots and non valuable lottie paraphernalia from my overstuffed garage to the lottie shed. Planted four extra rows of carrots in the raised bed and planted climbing bean seeds. Picked some forced Rhubarb, some for me, some for the little old lady who lives next door. Cleaned and disinfected the chicken coop. Built a Geoff Hamilton style giant cloche/mini poly tunnel for my Minnesota Midget sweet melons and refilled the water butt. The next job will be to fit guttering to allow me to save all the rain run off. Isn't Lottie Life fun?  Finished the day with a couple of pints of chilled cider....BLISS

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2009, 08:23:50 »
Oh, I got an old shed a few months ago Got it for nothing but had to clear it of junk, dismantle it and take it away. Some of the 'junk' wasn't junk to me!!! Anyway, like yours, the roof was no good, Got some corrugated metal
donated. sounds great in the rain, reminds me of a caravan holiday!! I love that shed. I've done it up great! Today I will be finishing off a pallet fence and attempting to make a gate. Sometime, I will tend the plants!!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2009, 08:43:11 »
At very least check the greenhouse, dig up some strawberry runners and pot up, dig out some JA's, some couch, cut some hedge strim a bit... potter around...  ;D

hild

• Not So New ...
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2009, 19:42:01 »
Am cleaning out old pots and patio containers, horrible job but I suppose it serves me right for being so lazy in the autumn!  ;)

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2009, 19:58:09 »
Put in 5 rows of Autumn King Carrots, a row of Beetroot, short row of Lettuce, and dug over the bottom part to get to grips with the last piece of Couch Grass, Sieved through my finished compost . Harvested some Leeks for my dinner together with a good helping of PSB. I had a perfect day :)

hild

• Not So New ...
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2009, 22:43:34 »
Am just sooooo pleased -  ;D - with myself today, I've built some wire cages to sit over my carrot and radish beds, with a bit of luck foxy-woxy will now walk AROUND my veg plot rather than straight through it!  Or rather, not straight through, but more like back and forth and round and round and then DIG.  Grrrr. >:(  Hopefully this will be a case of Hild 1, Basil 0.

Fingers crossed!

Manouche

• Acre
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2009, 08:12:04 »
Last few days in Portsmouth have been wonderful and spent most of those days on our half size allotment.
Our earlies are well underway earthed up and weeded.
Weeded onions and garlic.
strawberry bed and fruit bed all weeded out, looking good.
Our kind neighbour who has just had a spell in hospital    has loaned us a massive bed on his allotment for maincrop potatoes so approx 90 are now snuggled up in their beds!
My partner Rick did a lot of strimming on the borrowed allotment then did our paths.
We did have quite a few tea breaks in between.
My little flower bed looks pretty sweet and the wallflowers smell beautiful.
At home runner beans are going mad, courgette seeds just popping through as is the psb,toms good. Planted up 20 sunflowers to put along our boundary fence on allotments to pretty it up.
Rained last night but now the sky is brilliant blue so after all those boring jobs are done this morning I hope to be off to paradise for the afternoon. Have a great day everyone.

gardentg44

• Hectare
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2009, 08:30:34 »
on my way to cut this
kes   A man with no money in is pocket at christmas is too idle to borrow.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2009, 08:52:10 »
We are hoping to get up the plot sometime today between showers. I have to tie the sweet peas in and Tone is going to make me a structure for the chrysanths. I have got to harvest some more PSB. Cannot believe how good it has been this year.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

xlynettex

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2009, 09:00:54 »
we are going to finish clearing our last bed and then our lottie just has to be maintained all the very hard work done. maybe at somepoint put up our fruit cage frame :D

Busy Bee

• Quarter Acre
  • Bexhill On Sea East Sussex
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2009, 10:03:15 »
I'm hoping to dig out and weed another bed (only 3 more to go) try and do something with some strong wire drainpipe trellis stuff i got from freecycle. Think i'll see if i can grow some peas up it. I also want to plant up the red sunflowers i'm growing and i'll leave the yellow ones to grow on a bit before planting out. :)

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2009, 11:24:25 »
Going to see how everything is getting on after 4 days away walking the Severn Way. Expect everything will have grown a lot. Kind allotment neighbours have done some watering for me.
Keep Calm and Carry On

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2009, 11:32:03 »
im hoping to get the kale in the ground,along with psb and tenderstem,they all look ready to me,also having a tidy up storage area. off to an allotment open day first,at my mates site,hope the sun comes out for him cos it looks c**p out there so far today!
have fun one and all!!
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal