Author Topic: Just lost my entire gooseberry crop to mildew...  (Read 1425 times)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Just lost my entire gooseberry crop to mildew...
« on: May 06, 2009, 08:32:20 »
Went up to the plot a few days ago, gooseberries were fine, massive crop coming along, went along yesterday evening and the whole lot were mildewed  :( Am I llikely to get them to flower again this year if I take all the afflicted fruit off?..... Apart from spraying with Dithane or Bordeaux mixture what can I do?.... the plants look healthy, though they are a bit shaded by a couple of trees I intend having out sometinme soon....

chrisc

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Just lost my entire gooseberry crop to mildew...
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 10:35:47 »
If it really is that bad (or is it just a bit of superficial downing?) then you've probably lost them for the year. Rather than spraying like mad, you need to ask yourself why it happened. Can the air circulate round them? Are they in a damp spot? Could you replant with a resistant variety if there is one?

oliveoyl_25

• Half Acre

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 15:36:47 »
If it really is that bad (or is it just a bit of superficial downing?) then you've probably lost them for the year. Rather than spraying like mad, you need to ask yourself why it happened. Can the air circulate round them? Are they in a damp spot? Could you replant with a resistant variety if there is one?

Hmm... not that damp though did rain lots for a day last week not great air circulation (they've not been tended for a couple of years I guess, it's my first year)

WIll give them a spray with bordeaux topnight and talk to the neighbours about the trees (which are on my plot but I don't think are anythign important)

chrisc

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 19:34:24 »
Several years ago I lost a crop that way. I was told to destroy the plants and try again.

Another advisor said move them to a less damp location.

I did and they recovered and did well the next year.

This year has not been as wet as others so I would suggest that you move your bushes to a sunnier place. They must be somewhere too humid for them.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 02:27:17 »
Several years ago I lost a crop that way. I was told to destroy the plants and try again.

Another advisor said move them to a less damp location.

I did and they recovered and did well the next year.

This year has not been as wet as others so I would suggest that you move your bushes to a sunnier place. They must be somewhere too humid for them.
I'll have to look at moving them later on, not got the time right now...... Seems a shame to destroy them, they appear to be heavy croppers...

chrisc

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 22:27:20 »
chriscross,
There's a simple spray made with soft soap & ????
Came up last year * worked for me . Go get it !!!!!!!
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 07:12:59 »
chriscross,
There's a simple spray made with soft soap & ????
Came up last year * worked for me . Go get it !!!!!!!

Many thanks. will search for it.... problem is I've got about a ten-day absence from the plot coming up :-(

chrisc

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal