Author Topic: Can I compost.....  (Read 1573 times)

simhop

• Quarter Acre
Can I compost.....
« on: September 15, 2004, 16:45:59 »
Have posted on the disease board as well as not sure where was best, sorry for duplication.
Probably due to poor weather conditions and no greenhouse my tomatoes suffered blight and I removed more rotten than red, however it was my first year trying with them so not overly disappointed. A greenhouse is on the xmas list. Anyway I presume that it is not ok to compost the plants damaged but what about the growbags that I used - is it ok to chuck the contents onto the compost heap or would the disease have spread down to the roots.
Thanks for ay advice,
Simon

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
Re:Can I compost.....
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2004, 22:50:02 »
Hi Sim, I would not put the soil from blighted tomatoes in your compost unless you are absolutely sure it is not used anywhere near where potatoes or tomatoes will be planted or your compost gets very warm.

So sorry to hear you were hit with blight. I used to get it badly every year in the tomatoes. Just when I decided to give up on growing tomatoes all together, Blight resistant Ferline came on the market. Now I only plant those. Last year I had no blight at all and this year some plants were infected but I managed to control it by taking the infected leaves off. Others at the allotment complex had their plants collapse last month while mine are still going strong today.

simhop

• Quarter Acre
Re:Can I compost.....
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2004, 19:13:38 »
I am quite sure that the compost won't be used for potatoes or tomatoes so might burn the plants and use the soil. Ferline? One to look out for next year - thanks for the help.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal