Author Topic: Broad beans very short and in full flower!  (Read 1363 times)

Suzie Q

• Not So New ...
Broad beans very short and in full flower!
« on: April 16, 2009, 19:55:47 »
Does anyone else have a problem with their broad beans?  Mine are meant to be 150 cm tall and currently they are about 15 cm with loads of flowers on them - surely this is not right????????

SPUDLY

• Acre
Re: Broad beans very short and in full flower!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 20:13:49 »
Hi suzie q,

Mine are exactly the same. I was given some seed around xmas time and planted them in January. I was then told a month or two later, by said giver, that this seed had been collected from the previous years seed going back a few years. Now i'm not a lover of the things. If they dont smarten up they are out.

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 20:21:20 »
In my experience, an early crop of broad beans usually starts flowering while the plants are still quite small. This is good as it means that we will get to taste the beans or even the small bean pods as soon as possible. With a bit of luck, they may continue flowering for quite a time.
Mine are under a Lidl cloche and I see that they are about to flower.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 20:26:42 »
Many of the real "Winter" ones like the Sutton are very small, only the summer ones get to 1.50M...  :-\

Suzie Q

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 20:30:05 »
thanks Spudly & Realfood, mind now at rest (actually pre occupied with the seed box but it's a start)!

SPUDLY

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 23:09:01 »
Again, thanks realfood & saddad.

It's a stay of execution for the broad beans. ;D ;D ;D

KathrynH

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 22:22:23 »
Mine are a good deal smaller than usual at this time of year but  think the bad winter set them back. The overwintering ones do tend to flower quite early but continue growing and flowering at the same time so you should get a decent crop by the sound of it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal