Author Topic: coleus canina  (Read 1358 times)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
coleus canina
« on: April 16, 2009, 19:23:57 »
I have just bought some of these plants on line and hopefully when they go outside they will scare the 3 cats who live 3 doors away from my garden. I do love cats but not when they are someone elses and they crap on my garden. The people they belong to don't bother with their garden at all so it wouldn't matter if they used it as a toilet. I ve also heard that it deters foxes so may take some up the plot. Babbies are due soon and they do love to play amongst the veg and dig the spuds up. Will let you know if it works
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: coleus canina
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 20:37:11 »
I already know, Shirl..... ::)

(sorry) pressed 'post' before I'd finished.

Shirl it's OK and it smells foul, that's true enough, but you're gonna need a lottie full of the stuff to keep it off your lottie, if you see what I mean. One of my laydees had it in her garden & it had completely taken over a bed she'd got quite special stuff planted in. It can be a real thug if unchecked. At home I've got it in pots & move them round BUT you'd still need an awful lot of pots I reckon...

Good luck with it, but don't believe the blurb that a little bit of it is going to keep cats away for miles.... :-\
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 21:00:02 by Hyacinth »

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 09:09:16 »
Oh dear..The info on it said that its an annual so I thought maybe it wouldn't take over.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 10:11:12 »
I've not Googled, but praps there is a perennial? I'll let you have a whiff of mine (taken from this lady's plant) when it comes through in the pots, and you can judge.  This stuff reproduces from a huge tangle of roots - hence the thuggish nature of it. She called it "scaredy cat" and I'd presumed it was c.c.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal