Author Topic: Decapitated.  (Read 795 times)

tim_n

• Quarter Acre
Decapitated.
« on: April 17, 2009, 08:32:10 »
My first year, with no green house to grow in I bought a cloche to use.  The plants inside were devastated by slugs and snails.

The next year I bought a 6x4 plastic greenhouse and again, many of the plants were decimated.

This year I made a very hardcore cold frame from scaffold boards and a shower door.   This is where my perk up story comes in - Yesterday it was forecast to be quite warm so I thought I'd prop open the cold frame a bit.  The door has a curved edge which is useful for propping up so it rests on this curved bit of metal.  I did my cursory glance to see whether the slug traps had caught any or if any snails were hiding about.  There were none.

Yesterday afternoon I popped back and it’d been raining all day.  Fearing the worse I went over to the cold frame to see the big body of a snail looking as if he was about to go into the planted area.  So I briskly walked over, grabbed him by the shell and tugged.

The cold frame lid moved with him.

That morning, he’d obviously been hanging off the curved metal edge trying to find a way in when I’d lifted and slammed the metal edge straight down on his head.  It’s like what one of his mates did to all my beans, my squash, my cucumbers, my melons and lettuce last year.

It was a bit gross and I knew it was wrong but I did feel a twinge of pleasure with the guilt…

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Decapitated.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 09:07:51 »
 ;D Vengance....  ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Decapitated.
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 09:29:31 »
you're not on your own, I throw slugs to the chickens and watch  :o ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal