Author Topic: R J Harris's Moon Gardening - has anyone read it?  (Read 2537 times)

70fingers

• Half Acre
R J Harris's Moon Gardening - has anyone read it?
« on: April 16, 2009, 23:12:35 »
Was wondering if anyone has read this book? Had a look on amazon but there are no reviews was just wondering if it was worth buying.

Many thanks
Clive

Bjerreby

• Acre
  • Can't wait till spring........
Re: R J Harris's Moon Gardening - has anyone read it?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 05:38:36 »
There's probaby not much interest I think.......................its a long way to go to do a bit of gardeing isn't it?  :o

70fingers

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 08:49:45 »
 ;D ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 09:44:33 »
That sounds like the one that was sent to me and ended up in the bin. I don't know how it made its way into print; 90% of it was cut and pasted repetitions of the same instructions.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 09:47:41 »
There's probaby not much interest I think.......................its a long way to go to do a bit of gardeing isn't it?  :o

hahaha!!

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 11:38:04 »
I got the book to do some research as I was asked if i could incorporate it into my vegetable gardeners almanac software.

I think it falls into the same category as companion planting - the 'improved results' arise because the person applying the methods are giving their plants lots of TLC. Nothing more, but nothing less.

The book seems to base most instructions on doing things in this or that quarter of the moon in a particular month. It does not seem to take into account the fact that the dates are not matched too well to our calendar (and change over time) and more importantly that conditions vary tremendously from one end of the country to the other (not to mention actual temperatures and rainfall).

Its a good excuse for getting out the beads and open-toed sandals though...
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 15:28:07 »
I bought one of the calendar books one year. I didn't think it made an awful lot of difference. Just looking at one lunar gardening website - which lunar method to use - today is not a good day for sowing (according to one), and another says it is a good time to sow flowering plants...
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Mrs Soup

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 22:38:26 »
I've got the one by Nick Kollerstrom. He prefaces the calendar with some detailed background into the different planting calendars available, which do conflict. There is also some reasonably scientific looking research which suggests that there may be some benefits to planting at particular times.

Personally, I use it for time management. So much to do, so little time - two or three days on a 10 day rotation for each of roots, flowers, leaf and fruit/seed, gives a plan as to what to when.

70fingers

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 23:07:29 »
Thank you all so much for taking the time to respond to my question. I like the sound of time management and improved results but I may give the open-toed sandals a miss though as I am a bit dangerous with the spade!  ;D Someone has kindly offered to lend me the Nick Kollerstrom book via pm, seems like a popular choice!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal