Author Topic: visits to the greenhouse  (Read 1575 times)

ber77tie

• Half Acre
visits to the greenhouse
« on: April 16, 2009, 22:51:11 »
I would love to have a greenhouse or polytunnel on my plot but cannot get to the site everyday.Would I need to visit everyday or is one better than the other.or should I just forget the idea?Help please.

melann

• Not So New ...
Re: visits to the greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 23:08:55 »
a pollytunnel needs a visit daily as it gets to hot and drys out a green house depends on what u grow in it

staris

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 23:32:29 »
i've been told by other people on our allotments that in the summer i will need to visit the polytunnel twice a day for watering.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 23:35:32 »
a poly will need daily visits, to open and close each morning and night, at least. with a glasshouse you can at least have an 'autovent' on the roofvents and side vents
 ;)
You couldn't make it up!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 09:21:51 »
we have mesh doors on our polytunnel as we can't get there every day, it allows air to get through and keeps the local cats out  ;D

Carls3168

• Half Acre
    • The Pellon Allotment
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 20:48:32 »
Ive got a greenhouse on my plot and cant get to it every day during the summer. Sometimes every otherday, but if working away can be 4 days without water

It has an autovent on the roof, and a vent in the back wall (left open in the summer) also if 'red-hot'  ::) I just leave the door open.

I grow toms, peppers, chillis and cucumbers in it - with a little thought you can reduce the ammount of watering needed....

1) Grow veg in borders - or in growbags with minimal drainage holes and water retaining gel in them
2) If possible rig up your down pipes to run into the greenhouse and water when it rains
3) Shade in hight of summer
4) Reduce water evaperation by covering exposed soil - black plastic over borders, or newspaper over growbags

or... if you have a neighbour who wants a greenhouse, but doesnt have one offer them space in yours for a few toms etc, in return for watering your plants when they do their own?  ;)

Cant speak about Poly tunnels.... personally I would go for the greenhouse... ;D

Whichever you get though you'll wonder how you ever coped before

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal