Author Topic: On-line Veterinary Medicines  (Read 7102 times)

Pink Fingers

• Quarter Acre
  • That's the pot planted, now for the veg ...
On-line Veterinary Medicines
« on: April 15, 2009, 14:44:30 »
I know I have seen them before now, but despite of searching I can't find any now.  I did find a couple but they don't supply what I want - I know, I should have 'favourited' it. 

I need a supplier for One-Alpha (alfacalcidol) for my cat.  I know the vet will happily provide a prescription, and as it costs £70+ from them, I could do with saving all the money I can. 

Bless his heart, he is already the most expensive cat in the practice!

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Re: On-line Veterinary Medicines
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 17:00:38 »
I bought my Advocate wormer & flee drops from 365 vets - http://www.365vet.co.uk/

Really quick & half the price of my vet! I mentioned it in bargains galore - wrong bit though, praps!

Can't see your product though... is there an alternative?

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 18:12:24 »
There is not that much of a difference between alfacalcidol & cholecalciferol (vitamin D3). The only significant advantage of alfacalcidol is that it does not require renal hydroxylation making it suitable for patients with renal failure.
Personally unless the cat had kidney peoblems I would use regular vitamin D3 supplements instead.

http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk stocks cheap One-Alpha capsules, drops & injections for human use they don't list it in their pet range but as it is the same thing it may be worth contacting them to see if they can supply it subject to you providing them with a prescription from your vet.

Pink Fingers

• Quarter Acre
  • That's the pot planted, now for the veg ...
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 19:32:57 »
Right then ... it is a bit complicated and I may well have lost track through the ailments.  Started before Christmas when he had a hyperactive thyroid - this was removed, took him home and he fitted.  Took him back and apparently the parathyroid was damaged, so he was put on the Alpha-One drops until he stabilised (think these are for people, but very low dose).  Everything was fine for a while. 

About about six weeks ago he fitted again (twice) and then a third time which was when eilepsy was diagnosed.  He is now on daily anticonvulsants (same as humans and luckily cheap). 

Then... about two weeks ago he stopped eating, moving, etc and I really thought he was a goner.  In desperation and as there was nothing to lose, I started him on the drops again and he made a miraculous recovery.  Have spoken to the vet and he reckons there is no problem with keeping him on the drops (he is due back for a check next week).  Problem is that I don't really want to go through the blood test routine again, largely because of the cost.  Love him to bits, but up to £1200 and counting and the bank manager will complain soon.

No signs of renal problems.  Maybe I should ask the vet about VitD3 and see what he has to say?

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 20:52:11 »
I have used Petmeds for 2 years. I order on line and then fax the prescription through to them. I get the tablets the next day. Incidentally when I recently asked vet for a prescription he charged me £8.99. Apparently the Goverment have now allowed vets to charge for prescription (since last November).

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 13:31:13 »
Hyperdrug.com do prescription meds for animals.

I looked this med up for you and they say to ring them and give a number for you to do so :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal