Author Topic: Silly question  (Read 1608 times)

woodybrown

• Quarter Acre
  • The brat pack
Silly question
« on: April 14, 2009, 15:39:40 »
I know this is going to be silly for most of you, but were new to this game..... How do we know that our crops are growing and that they are not weeds, we know carrotts but wot do parsnips look like to start off with. Do any of you know of  a good book which shows you the beginning of the plant and not the end product.  Thank you. :-X :-[

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
Re: Silly question
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 15:45:19 »
I had the same issue. While i was getting used to it I made the drills and then backfilled them with a potting compost so you could see a darker colour. Everything that grew outside of the darker line got removed.

F.

woodybrown

• Quarter Acre
  • The brat pack
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 15:52:22 »
thank you so much what a great idea a job for tomorrow....

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 15:53:10 »
http://images.google.com/images?client=safari&rls=en&q=parsnip%20seedlings&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

try the above link,i found google images very useful in our early days.good luck!
rach
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

woodybrown

• Quarter Acre
  • The brat pack
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 15:55:35 »
bless you thanks will have a look for all of the plants now on there.

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 16:32:26 »
You could also mark your rows with silver sand.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

lushy86

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 20:01:16 »
Being new too I have marked all mine with bright green twine attached to a bit of old cane at each end like you do to sow a row and left them there, it probably looks a bit amateur but at least I'll know where the rows are and can weed in between.

For my potatoes I have made mounds of multi purpose on top of each one so I can tell where they are - the look like little mole hills - have taken some pics so will down load and post them.

Lushy x
Make mine a large one!

timnsal

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 20:03:27 »
I found it helped to start some seeds off in pots, then there was a fair chance that what came up was whatever I was trying to identify. (Mostly, anyway :-X )

Sally

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 06:20:07 »
Mark the rows with a light sowing of radish, you will see where your stuff is and be able to use the hoe to keep the seeds down also you will have radish to eat mmmm

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal