Author Topic: Lime - Builders or Garden  (Read 790 times)

Jokerman

• Half Acre
Lime - Builders or Garden
« on: April 19, 2009, 18:21:09 »
Does it matter which? Need to lime my cabbage and have a bag of builders lime in the garage...  will this do or is there a difference (apart from the price)   ???
“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” ~ Tolkien

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Lime - Builders or Garden
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 18:31:56 »
Builders lime needs to be mixed with water and is frowned upon in the organic circles. Garden lime is straight from the ground, not slaked like builders.

But if you have manured the ground you will not only waste the lime but also create a chemical reaction.( think pee and toilet cleaner)

Jokerman

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 18:34:24 »
sorry for being thick... what does slaked mean?...

they both do the same job though, yeh?

??? ??? ???
“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” ~ Tolkien

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 18:47:59 »
You add water to slake its thirst. I'm not sure that's correct though. The lime you slake is quicklime, calcium oxide. If you add water you then get calcium hydroxide, and apparently that's what builders' lime is. It's too alkaline for garden use. Garden lime is calcium carbonate, made by ginding limestone. It's a lot less alkaline, so it's more controllable, and won't burn plants or damage soil.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 18:49:56 by Robert_Brenchley »

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 20:07:00 »
This info might help; http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Soil-Liming/Soil-Liming.htm

Personally I prefer hydrated lime.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal