Author Topic: What to buy...  (Read 2382 times)

Cuke

• Half Acre
  • Abbeymead, Gloucester
    • Growing Our Own
What to buy...
« on: April 13, 2009, 09:50:33 »
I know this is a big question with loads of diferent considerations but can anyone point a greenhouse newbie in the right direction of what to buy, what to look out for etc etc.

I'm thinking 6x8 or possibly 6x10 depending on cost but other than that I'm at a loss to know what I should be looking for.

I've seen ones with 1mm thick poly-something rather than glass which sounds horribly flimsy, and then there's horticultural glass and touchened glass but I don't know what the difference is...

As for a base, I'd like to be able to stand the greenhouse directly onto the soil but I don't know if thats the done thing or not, and if not what should I stand it on. I'm assuming I need a base of some kind whatever I'm standing it on though?

So many questions...

Our little corner of the blogging world http://www.growingourown.co.uk

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: What to buy...
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 10:25:45 »
I know this is a big question with loads of diferent considerations

As you say 'different considerations' these are mine;

I'm thinking 6x8 or possibly 6x10 depending

If area is your first consideration go for width rather than length, always remember you have to get into the greenhouse as well and when it is full of say tomatoes this can sometimes be hazardous.

I prefer 8ft wide to 6 ft wide for this reason

I've seen ones with 1mm thick poly-something rather than glass which sounds horribly flimsy,

I wouldn't touch this with a barge pole particularly if it is held in with spring clips. They tend to pop out and blow away in a high wind.

and then there's horticultural glass and touchened glass but I don't know what the difference is...

There is a big differeance particularly in price!

Horticultural glass is the standard for greenhouses and is 3mm thick. as opposed to 4mm thick you would get in a domestic situation,e.g.  a window.

Toughened glass is usually laminated glass which is basically two sheets of glass stuck together and is generally quite heavy. Personally I don't think it is called for in a greenhouse.

On the same theme I don't like polycarbonate sheeting it tends to discolour in time and go brittle.............But them I am a traditionalist as this is one area where I won't go with new technology..........horticultural glass has been the choice of gardeners for generations and long may it continue.

As for a base, I'd like to be able to stand the greenhouse directly onto the soil

In a word.....Don't!!

You will get movement and glass doesn't bend when the greenhouse moves ..it breaks!!

what should I stand it on. I'm assuming I need a base of some kind whatever I'm standing it on though?

If you don't want to go into the realms of pouring concrete you can buy concrete blocks to form a base with. You can sit the greenhouse on this and plug & screw it to the blocks. As an additiond to this you could place a timber wallplate on the blocks and fix the greenhouse to this.

I have two Alton greenhouse and they supply purpose made concrete bases,

Cuke

• Half Acre
  • Abbeymead, Gloucester
    • Growing Our Own
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 13:57:40 »
Thanks TeeGee, very handy indeed :)

Have just ordered this...
http://www.greenhousepeople.co.uk/massive-greenhouse-clearance/clearance_6x10_6x10/

Can't wait for it to arrive now.... :)

reddyreddy

• Hectare
  • Everybody dies but not everybody lives...
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 17:45:32 »
Blimey, that looks a good deal! Don't forget your staging and an automatic louvre. :)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 23:32:48 »
If I needed a new greenhouse I would buy that.  Seems a cracking deal with everything that is included.  I have saved the webpage in my favourites should the time come again......
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Cuke

• Half Acre
  • Abbeymead, Gloucester
    • Growing Our Own
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 13:09:33 »
Phew... :)

I was kinda worried it was too good to be true and someone on here would point out the obvious flaw in the deal...

Just got worry about building a base for it all to stand on now. I'm thinking concrete just to be doubly sure it's secure... Althought paving slabs would obviously be easier... Hmmmmm....

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 15:47:03 »
That looks good. We've just put a greenhouse up and used concrete fence bottoms (the bit that you rest the wooden panel on) they measure 6 foot by 11"  so you would need 11. We got old of some rejects only £2 each. I hope that makes sense to you.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal