Author Topic: Chooks not laying  (Read 1773 times)

redcow

• Not So New ...
Chooks not laying
« on: April 10, 2009, 21:14:33 »
I've had my 1x hen & 2x chicks since last Aug. They were all laying in Jan & Feb then in Mar they went down to 2 eggs a day and for the last three weeks I've had nothing.

Any ideas??? ???

Redcow x

Peasticks

• Half Acre
Re: Chooks not laying
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 22:20:02 »
Could they have worms maybe, that can cause egg production to drop

Are they eating layers pellets? do you give them treats at all? if they fill up on treats and don't eat the pellets that can effect egg laying

How old are they and what breeds?

Sorry to give you more questions back!

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 08:40:25 »
Worms do cause problems as do lice and red mites.
lice and mites suck blood making them sick pale combs?
As you only have 3 hens you could look as your local pet shop for treatments for parrots. Birds are birds and you can get drops to put at the base of the neck to treat them. The drops will do worms, lice and mites.
Of course you can get worming pellets now, ACV to put in water, poultry spice and Battles drink latter two are tonic's.
If you can get hold of a fresh rhubarb leaf thats a natural wormer for hens.
they eat it like cabbage and cabbage leaves will give them extra vits.
do hope some of this helps

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 10:01:30 »
There's usually 2 common reasons for hens to stop laying .
1. They are coming in to their moult.
2. They are fancying some chicks of their own,,so are preparing to go broody.
When were they born and what breed are they?
A less common reason for a sudden stop in egg production is something or somebody is taking your eggs.
Here's test to see if they are going or have gone off laying..
Pick your bird up, hold it under your arm head facing away from you with your other hand  lightly press on feathers just under its vent..You will feel two bones sticking out, these I have always called pin bones rightly or wrongly.
If a bird is in full lay there Will be enough space between these bones for you to lay 3 fingers side by side between them . If there is only enough to lay 2 fingers the bird is going out of lay,just one finger the bird is full out of lay .
With your new pullets you can use the same method to see if a bird is coming in to lay. 1 finger space bird ain't laying, 2 fingers bird is preparing to start laying, 3 fingers bird is laying or very soon will be ..
I am talking normal sized hens here not bantams, the same principle applies but the space in bantams will be smaller, maybe 2 finger gap when the bird is laying.
If anyone can explain this better  please feel free to do so :)

« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 10:07:06 by growmore »
Cheers .. Jim

redcow

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 20:06:20 »
Thanks for all your replies

My hens are bantams, I dont know how old the hen is but the chicks hatched around August time. They get fed layers pellets mainly, sometimes they have a bit of rice which they love.

They seem to be behhaving normally.

Does anyone know how long a moult lasts???

Thanks
Redcow

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal