Author Topic: What A PRICE  (Read 1939 times)

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
What A PRICE
« on: April 11, 2009, 20:39:06 »
 As one or two know i had a bad year last year with one or two things going on in my life and hence, did not get much veg grown and have ended up having to buy it from the local shops. I cannot believe the price of it ( and they say the cost of living is going down ) 98p for a dried up cabbage and £1.45 for some broccoli.  That's it Cabbage plants go out tomorrow under  a cloche .  :-[ :-[
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

Twoflower

• Hectare
  • Three girls and a cat!!!
Re: What A PRICE
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 20:44:17 »
errrhh yes but thats the average basket have you seen what they put in this basket? They have milk and butter but then they put in tv's and ipods which we all buy with our weekly shopping. It's a good way to fiddle the numbers :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 22:15:45 »
Veg prices have gone through the roof, but it started way back before the bad weather hit us, let alone the credit crunch.

sparklebug

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 23:03:04 »
i paid 88p today for a lettuce  :o can't wait till mine's ready to cut, my friends said i wouldn't save any money growing my own fruit and veg as the allotment cost's £55 per year, that's till i showed them how much i spend on salad every week let alone soft fruit and other veg.

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 23:24:52 »
Its the cost of Rhubarb.  No wonder family and friends are so pleased to be given it.   :o :o £3.99 a bundle!!!!!!  I nearly fell through the floor.

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 01:39:05 »
I once calculated that I eat on average 10 portions of fruit and veg a day - lovely stuff.

For 9 months of the year I am pretty self sufficient for veg (June through to February). I only have soft fruit which we get plenty of in the summer to eat fresh and freeze, and I am fully self sufficient for jam!

But for the 3 months of the year I have to buy veg my shopping my bill is £20 to £30 a week higher than the rest of the time. My plot rental is only £30 a year. I can't wait until I am in a position to be able to have a few chickens as well - paid nearly £12 for an organic chicken the other day.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 08:50:22 »
We go over to Leicester market and even the price of veg on there is unreal especially the Leeks so I have about forty plants going in, :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 12:12:00 »
I'm still eating lettuce, Bronze Arrow under glass... just have a few leeks left.
 ;D

runnerbean

• Not So New ...
  • Bean's been runnin!
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 12:30:19 »
I am still eating cut and grow again under my cloche- crikey- don't I sound like someone else? :D

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 12:48:40 »
What about mint, rosemary, oregano and bay leaves etc.  Given up with the horseradish sauce as it too much like hard work to make and we don't use it that often.  Make lovely apple sauce and freeze in very small containers from the windfalls that Nick on the allotment gives me by the bag full.  They are very expensive to buy and always have plenty of those.  Also grow a few flowers, just picked 6 lovely tulips, never buy flowers from the shops.  I certainly think my allotment fee is very good value for money and get a reduction for being retired (think it is over 62 to make it fair for men and women).  Freezer still has blackberries in and gave next door a punnet nearly every day when they were in season.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal