Author Topic: Glass repair tape  (Read 2592 times)

JimmyJames

• Half Acre
  • Portsmouth, Hants
Glass repair tape
« on: April 09, 2009, 17:47:37 »
I was wondering if such a thing existed?

I have a few aluminium framed glass panes that are just right for placing on the boards around my smaller beds to warm up the soil and give things a bit of a head start.

Yesterday I was balancing a plank off wood whilst I kack-handedly screwed another plank to it (to make a new border).  The plank fell and cracked the glass :(

The glass is still in the frame, but it moves around a bit and the risk of cutting myself is high.

Is there any special tape I can buy that will form a hard seal, be waterproof, and preferably be see through?

I will pop to the DIY store tomorrow, but wondered if any of you could point me in the right direction!

Thanks
http://www.hatchingaplot.blogspot.com/   (seemed like a good idea,  but sadly not updated for many moons!)

jethro87

• Not So New ...
Re: Glass repair tape
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 18:28:33 »
If there's no oil under it, there's no oil in it.

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 21:21:07 »
I bought a roll of tape from B&Q a while ago for mending glass, unfortunately I can't remember what it was called. It's just like heavy duty clear cellotape about 5cm wide. Hope that's helpful.

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 09:42:26 »
A tube of clear silicone sealer will sort it . Run a line of it over the crack both sides, then some beads on the glass round the frame.. If you cut the spout near the top so there is only a little hole, you can stick a nail down it when you have finished  the job. Will keep ok till you need it again 
Cheers .. Jim

JimmyJames

• Half Acre
  • Portsmouth, Hants
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 10:42:57 »
Thanks for all the replies!

I have been busy so only just seen them :)

Im off to B&Q in a few mins to buy some felt for the second hand shed I have aquired, so I will check out their glass repair wares too!
http://www.hatchingaplot.blogspot.com/   (seemed like a good idea,  but sadly not updated for many moons!)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal