Author Topic: Over-wintered Chillies  (Read 4437 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Over-wintered Chillies
« on: April 11, 2009, 16:50:26 »
I managed to keep two Chillies over winter.  This is a picture of Thai Hot taken today.  It's not stopped flowering and fruiting since last summer!

G x

'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

twang20

• Not So New ...
Re: Over-wintered Chillies
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 19:41:37 »
They look fantastic. I love ornamental/compact types as you can over-winter them in this way without pruning (I assume thats wat you did), they are great for beating the winter chilli cravings.
I also like over-wintering larger plants as bonsai chillis (bonchi), some of mine from last year also fruited through winter.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 22:02:03 »
WOW! How envious am I!!

I've over-wintered 2 Apache, just hoping to get an earlier crop, really :-\ They've only just started new growth - and I thought I was doing well! :o

RosieMcPosie

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 22:17:04 »
Wow, Georgie, well done! they look brillaint. I tried to over winter one but it died on me :( Those are very impressive. xx
proud owner of a lottie since August 2007!

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 04:15:04 »
Looking good Georgie   ;D I have about 15 over wintered plants, it's always great to see them spring back into life!

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 10:22:55 »
Thanks Folks.

As Twang guessed this plant wasn't pruned back - just the odd bit of tidying up.  My other plant (a yellow one but variety unknown) was cut back by about two thirds.  That has come back into leaf in the last month or so and already has a few flowers/fruits.  This is the first time I've tried this method and I am very pleased with the results.  Needless to say I picked up the idea on this lovely forum.    ;D

What I'd like now is a compact plant with small upright purple fruits.  (I've got 'Trifetti' but it grows too big for my windowsill so I grow it outside.)  Someone have me some 'Pretty in Purple' seeds in a swap but they didn't germinate - strange because I've never had that problem before.   ???  If anyone has any recommendations I'd be pleased to hear them or better still swap a few seeds with them.   :)

G x

'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

twang20

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 10:45:37 »
I can recommend a few...What about Explosive Ember, Adorno, Purple Venezuelan and CAP 1546 these are the only purple ones that im growing this year and they look lovely.
Unfortunately I dont have any seeds left after doing so many swaps :( Sorry.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 16:04:31 »
I've gotone Jalapeno and one Apache that I overwintered.They are both slightly odd shapes now after pruning but both have flowers and the Jalapeno has one fruit!

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 20:44:02 »
I can recommend a few...What about Explosive Ember, Adorno, Purple Venezuelan and CAP 1546 these are the only purple ones that im growing this year and they look lovely.
Unfortunately I dont have any seeds left after doing so many swaps :( Sorry.

Thanks for those suggestions, Twang, I'll look into them.   :)

I've gotone Jalapeno and one Apache that I overwintered.They are both slightly odd shapes now after pruning but both have flowers and the Jalapeno has one fruit!

Yay!  Well done, Caroline.  We demand pics!   ;D

G x

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 17:02:47 »
Filius Blue are also very similar

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 20:53:02 »
Thank you for all the suggestions for a purple fruited variety.  Before I could do any proper research a kind poster has come to my rescue and is posting me some seeds from the Organic Gardening catalogue.   ;D 

G x

Nemesia

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 17:12:37 »
I managed to keep two Chillies over winter.  This is a picture of Thai Hot taken today.  It's not stopped flowering and fruiting since last summer!

G x

I only found out at the end of last year that I could have overwintered some chillies i.e. after I had thrown mine plants away. I grow them for my son who loves hot curries etc.
We've got about eight on the go already so I will try overwintering this year.
Is it to much to ask you how I get a photo into one of my post? I just haven't mastered it yet.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 20:46:57 »
Hi Nemesia

There are a couple of ways to upload photos on this site.  You can subscribe to A4A which will give you the facility or you can use a host site like Photobucket or Image Shack. 

Hope this helps.

G x

Mowhay

• Quarter Acre
  • Durham
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 10:51:01 »
First two chillies on the plant over wintered in my office, it was a "cheapy" one that the GC had quite late last year, just wanted rid of them I guess. Not many flowers at the moment but I'm hopeful of more.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2009, 19:58:45 »
It looks very healthy, Mowhay.   :)

G x

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal