Author Topic: seeds-by-size.co.uk - can anyone explain how it works?  (Read 1978 times)

hellohelenhere

• Hectare
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • http://backgardenallotmenteer.blogspot.com/
seeds-by-size.co.uk - can anyone explain how it works?
« on: April 09, 2009, 13:07:25 »
http://www.seeds-by-size.co.uk/

I'm probably being a numpty, but I can't figure out the pricing system on here - is it aimed at industrial scale plantings and therefore not really useful to me? I'm looking for dianthus, in this case... Anyone used this site to buy seeds (any kind)?
cheers
H

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
Re: seeds-by-size.co.uk - can anyone explain how it works?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 13:55:13 »
I have and he's scrupulously honest, but it's easy to be put off by his system. Actually there are several systems: for example you can either price the seeds you want using his code system, buy a packet which is price coded or pay either £1.50 or £2.50 and he will send a packet of seeds.

In the first case take the number that appears on the left of  the seed you want (the group number). Say you want Magic Charms, the group number is 49. Go down until you reach the bottom of the section where there's a table called "SEEDS-BY-SIZE FLOWER SEEDS BY WEIGHT READY RECKONER:2008/2009 ". Under column 49 there are three prices for the three different weights of seeds in the left hand column of the table.

I don't really follow the next section except that some can be made up into £1.50 packets and others into £2,50 packets. but under that is another section, Part 2,  listing packets of seeds giving the number of seeds per packet and a price code. E.G.
Dianthus Chinensis Baby Doll AA per 5000 seeds. The key here is the price code AA.
At the bottom of the section is a table giving what price AA represents i.e. £6.54

May I suggest up e-mailing him, I think it's John@seeds-by-size.co.uk, saying what you'd like and he'll e-mail back saying what the cost will be?

Enjoy :)

Twoflower

• Hectare
  • Three girls and a cat!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 14:00:16 »
I have just received some tomtoe seeds from him. I rang him up had a very interesting conversation and sorted it out that way :)

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 21:53:45 »
Must admit, I was put off by the complicated system he has....... may try again next season, he does have loads of chilli varieties, bit pricey though.....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal