Author Topic: Allotment Site - Gate security  (Read 8128 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Allotment Site - Gate security
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2009, 18:33:40 »
I've never seen a strumpet referred to as a 'sleeper' before!

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2009, 19:00:34 »
I hope you are not implying that the tennis club members are on the game.  (Only joking).  Was quite surprised yesterday when I locked up the locker shed to find 3 empty packets of Durex on the grass outside.  Also found McDonalds empty boxes of food, so maybe that is what the youngsters are up to.  I suppose we should be grateful that they are using Durex.  Well it is a quiet lane up to the site, perhaps we will soon have locked gates from the road and perhaps cameras.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2009, 10:35:02 »
I hope they're neither on the game nor employing the services of those who are! They're not in our good books though. They agreed to have a locked gate at the top of the lane, then got a new committee which threw the agreement out. So the gate's theer, but it's never been used yet. The plan now is to move it further down the lane, which will divert the whores from outside our gate into their car park. Then we'll see how they react!

Joolieeee

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2009, 09:13:56 »
we have several gates, all of which are padlocked. However, people still leave them unlocked (but not open) which allows non lottie folks to use us as a shortcut and walk through.

I would be interested if anyone is using a different system other than a padlock - if we could have the gate locking directly without having to put the padlock back on this would be great. 

Any ideas?

Joolieeee
Joolieeee

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2009, 13:33:05 »
Our stables have added a keypad opening to the gate they share with us. You tap in one of two codes - one opens both gates fully, to allow vehicles in & out; the other opens one gate just enough to get a wheelbarrow or a few pedestrians in. They have a press & point, so that they don't have to stop when a carriage is entering or leaving.

Both codes are changed from time to time. But it does need electricity and I don't know how much it cost to set up.

One of our problems - apart from idiots leaving the gate unlocked! - is members failing to return the key when they give up. There must be dozens of extra keys out there. We're thinking of replacing the lock with a programmable number lock. (We haven't got our own electricity supply, so we can't do what the stables have done for our car park gate.) Anyone had experience of those?

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2009, 15:07:56 »
Trevor_D,

I get the impression that solar-powered devices are gaining in popularity to run gates in out of the way places. Though I have not got round to finding out whether they are affordable yet.

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2009, 16:48:31 »
Thanks for that - I'll do some googling (they forecast rain tomorrow!).

wattapain

• Half Acre
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2009, 09:01:04 »
We used to have  keys to open the padlocks, but  people kept losing them, so they were  changed to combination locks. This seems to be  working well so far.
The system here is as many others - ie first one in opens, and last one out locks, which again works ok.
I'm very rarely either first in or last out!!  ::)

Lottie103

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2009, 22:34:00 »
I've just been to my Dad's plot today & they have a (`scuse my ignorance on technical terms) `pin lock' thing. Turning the key releases a big metal pin which you have to pull up to open the gate. Much easier than faffing with a padlock I thought but don't spose it would be useful to those who have problems with people not locking / keys being returned / needing to regularly change the locks :-\.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2009, 19:48:43 »
Ours have just put signs up about keeping the gates locked, because some of the divis keep leaving them open and as someone said theres loads of keys floating about so I have asked for the locks to be changed. Sounds pretty lively on your site Rob I must pop over so we can HOOK up sometime, I bet theres some great melons over there  in the summer Rob, I knew a girl who was on the game, she said the jobs OK but she had to work a week IN HAND.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2009, 21:59:23 »
Our main gate gives the Eon people access to the main substation for town... we have our lock they have theirs.. joined by a metal bar through the gate bolt. We have a combination, they have a key... the trained monkey closed the lock, not on the bar, so now we can't lock our gate... we have 'phoned them three times today but nobody has been back to "unlock" their lock...  >:(

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal