Author Topic: Apple Compost ??  (Read 2065 times)

7oaks plot

• Not So New ...
Apple Compost ??
« on: April 03, 2009, 23:29:25 »
Last year i had to clear a garden for someone i know and that included picking up hundreds and hundreds of fallen apples from there trees, now instead of just chucking them all away i decided to put them all in one of my plastic (dalek) type compost bins where they started to rot down, now my intention is to leave them there for a year (i.e. until this autumn) and then use whatever's there as compost.

Now my question is, will this all be suitable as a compost to mix in with the existing soil in my raised beds or will i have any problems?. Im asking because ive never heard of anybody doing this before..........im imagining that all will be ok as its all good organic matter, and apart from maybe apple seedlings sprouting up (easily removed) i can't see any problem but maybe someone here will tell me differently.

So can anybody help me please.

All thee best, Mark.

hellohelenhere

• Hectare
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • http://backgardenallotmenteer.blogspot.com/
Re: Apple Compost ??
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 00:03:59 »
I probably shouldn't really answer as a) I've never made compost with apples, and b) I'm a beginner myself, but - won't they reduce to a mouldy slime? Would they make a better compost with some other 'brown' stuff added, e.g. shredded paper, dry leaves/grass, etc? Also, they're quite acidic, but I don't know what pH they come out as once they've decomposed, perhaps the acid gets converted into something else.

THE MASTER

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 02:23:46 »
ile do a soil sample under my apple tree tomorrow and test if it is acid or alkaline.
my apple tree is a litle on the large side and most wind falls just get left to rot into the soil.
this is my tree in blosum last year sorry for the poor picky
watch out for wasps they like apples.
stinging neatles growing rampant are a good thing as that shows good nitrates, and ive got loads of stinging nettles under my tree

best thing is the compost smells like a cyder brewwery
 ;D

HE WHO DARES WINS !!!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 16:16:11 »
Don't no about pH but I guess the worms might be a bit p****d (scrumpy ::))

Only joking I see no problem with what you have done providing you have layered your compost materials i.e. Apples vegetative matter time about.

In this way both types of material will blend into each other, however if you have put them in en masse you may end up with an almighty heap of gunge!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 11:47:50 »
 Could this spread brown rot?? :-\

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal