Author Topic: growing ginger  (Read 5899 times)

zigzig

• Acre
growing ginger
« on: April 03, 2009, 20:37:48 »
I want to do this. I understand that you can just plant the ginger root you buy from the shop.

I tried this last year from details on a site which said just plant it and when I looked the middle had all been eaten so all I had was a ginger shell.

Any one know how to do it?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: growing ginger
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 20:42:52 »
we bought some with a  bulb like bump on, planted it in a pot, kept it in the polytunnel and it grew, trouble is, I left it in the tunnel in the winter, it died off  :-\
still, we had already harvested a big piece, just lost the bit I re-planted, oh, ours was from aldi  ;D

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 23:31:45 »
just plant a bit of shop-bought  ginger root into multi purpose compost, plant it with the root horizontal, and not totally buried. the root /rhizome will develop both roots and shoots. the shoots can be used as well, they are called 'stem' ginger, I think? they grow to about 2 ft tall, well, they did when my mate grew them, last year
You couldn't make it up!

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 13:28:19 »
just plant a bit of shop-bought  ginger root into multi purpose compost, plant it with the root horizontal, and not totally buried. the root /rhizome will develop both roots and shoots. the shoots can be used as well, they are called 'stem' ginger, I think? they grow to about 2 ft tall, well, they did when my mate grew them, last year

Does "Stem Ginger" taste like the root?
I might give this a whirl. I love crystalized ginger.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 17:54:37 »
Stem ginger preserved in syrup is out of this world.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 15:55:30 »

Unfortuantely Stem ginger is not made from the stems of ginger plants. Stem ginger is the just another name for root or green ginger but is commonly used in reference to the root preserved in syrup..
http://www.waitrose.com/food/cookingandrecipes/cookinglibraries/glossary/glossary.aspx?type=0&id=157
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

zigzig

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 05:38:47 »
Thanks to all,

I think my mistake wast to 'plant it' I should have just rested it on top.

Will give it another try.

Fresh ginger is so much better.

I love stem ginger too and am grateful for the recipe, we had it in Egypt, as a sauce on chicken and it worked wonderfully.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal