Author Topic: No water on my plot  (Read 7732 times)

admjh1

• Half Acre
No water on my plot
« on: April 03, 2009, 13:55:50 »
 :DH  I got my new plot in November and have now finished digging over, and laying my paths.I have one great problem and that is NO WATER ( and the plot has had non for at least 8 years.It was used for Chickens & Geese)I have a small shed that I have put a gutter on and quite a few water butts.I spoke to the man in charge of plots and he informed me that he only turns water on in June  for 1 HR on a sunday, but it doesn't get to me.ANY IDEAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: No water on my plot
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 13:59:53 »
I sense a palace revolution afoot  what are your rules on SGM's.. :-X

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 14:01:28 »

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 14:06:33 »
Talk to other people on the site, get them behind you and raise it at the AGM. You probably need a new committee, so are you willing to run the site yourself?

admjh1

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 14:23:00 »
We have over 90 plots and the committe is One man.

No I couldn't run the plots as I work full time.I don't want to cause bother but I need water to grow and I pay a percentage in my rent I belive.Maybe I should hold that back.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 14:31:45 »
Hold back the rent and they (he) has a valid reason to evict you.. It shouldn't be a one-man show... have you got a set of rules???  :-\

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 14:33:17 »
thats  rubbish that the committee is one person,indeed,its NOT  committee by definition if he is doing it on his own.i assume this is cos no one else wants to do it?or is he a martyr to the cause,either way,call an SGM,it is your right. are you council run?if so,go direct to your rep,who will be stunned to hear about this,i hope!  dont sit in silence,or withold your rent,act!
just read this back and it sounds like a bit of a rant sorry! i just feel very strongly about this kind of thing,let me know if i can be of help
rach
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 14:54:39 »
If it is council run I would avoid said "man/committee" and check that what he has said is correct.  I doubt very much if so many people would put up with that!  Maybe he is just telling porkies?  I cannot imagine a site with 90 or so plots all rushing around on a Sunday at a given hour to get water!

I would not believe this man at all and I would find where the stop thingy is and just help myself.  If water is provided it should be provided 24/7 although I do understand why some places shut water off in the winter!

Good luck with it!

Old Bird

;D

admjh1

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 16:10:02 »
You should believe it One man 90 plots and no one says a blinking thing.he came to my plot last week and three other people said the same to him.he turned subject round the other guys walked away saying nothing.they have no water either.I have asked him to connect me to someone who has water but he just said I would be amazed how much water I could collect off my roof!!!!

Think I will write to the council, and speak to him about it again.
There is a pipe to my plot but he said he would have to get everyone to check their pipes and that would not be possible.(Prob because 2/3 of plots are not used.

Blinking heck that was a real good rant for a Friday.Feel much better now sorry. >:( >:( >:(

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 16:12:46 »
It is a completely justifiable complaint. Keep at it  and the council... Glad it made you feel better venting how you felt about it..  ;D

zigzig

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 20:27:38 »
Right, the thing is, are you on a meter at home?

If not. Then collect as many plastic bottles as you can.

Take them to the plot full every time you go.

Go on to the freecycle network and ask for Water butts or old dustbins, any thing which will hold water and are big enough to dip a watering can in.

The trick is to keep the containers full.

Some councils offer grants for water butts.

Your allotments can form it's own members association write up a constitution and register it at the council, That makes you a registered body.

Then apply for a grant. This is not as complicated as you may think and there are people at the council offices who will help you. You need to ask.

Councils can not apply for a lot of grants, they are there for local groups of citizens to apply for themselves, the council will help you to do the job for yourself. Just ask your local councillor or go to the council offices for help.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 21:25:02 »
If everybody else gets we do not,  demand a reduction in rent as you are not getting the services you pay for.  Definitely go to the council.  I wonder how often the water is on for his plot.

At the AGM - put yourself forward to stand for his position on the committee 8)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

muddylou

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 22:56:38 »
I also took over my fist allotment in November, I was told there was no water to the plot so my GF and myself carried plastic bottles over filled with water to try and fill up an old water butt.
I spent £70 on guttering for my shed rood, a new 230 ltr container from work came free (held liquid detergent).
Last month I noticed someone using a hose and asked someone else at the site where the water from the hose came from, only to be told there was a communal  tap.
I wasn't best pleased and questioned a group of the other allotment holders why not one of them had told us there was water available even though they had all seen us struggling with the water bottles.
They awkwardly replied that they didn't know that we didn't know...

Sounded like Bo****ks to me.

I know this won't help you with your plot but as others have said, build a movement and get some pressure to the head man or the local council and
good luck.   

THE MASTER

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 03:10:35 »
i supose im a bit lucky
ive asked the counsil to put another water tank in (mains suply) we now have two  ;D. nice new shiney tanks. me being a cheacky git i asked for the old one to grow my carots in yupie ive now got two water tanks on our site, and ive got a tank to grow me carots in

our tanks are not on a meter and we can use as mutch as we like. but if s*** comes to shove i can pump water from the ditch that runs alongside of our allotments or the canal isnt to far away

fortunatly we have a high water table. although the top 3" dryes out fast under 3" stayes moist
few tips on water and watering

water as little as you can. as the roots will go deeper and find there own water . watering to mutch causes the roots to stay in the upper surface and that will dry out faster than deep rooted roots

keep your water butts clean
DO NOT WASH ANYTHING in your water butts
mud in water butts causes desese and polutes the water

:)
HE WHO DARES WINS !!!

admjh1

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 08:14:23 »
 ;) ;)Thanks guys I am on a rool now. Come this Sunday only day the guy is there I will tell him I am writting to the council.

Happy growing......

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal