Author Topic: What Veg Don't You Like?  (Read 7830 times)

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: What Veg Don't You Like?
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2009, 18:52:18 »
I like all veg but I don`t grow salsify or Scorzenera any more-I just find them a bit dull

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2009, 18:53:45 »
Turnips make an excellent soup base 1066, but I don't grow them as they won't eat them... I've tried to gro every veg I can see in the book... even Strawberry Spinach and Asparagus peas, which are more trouble than they're worth. The only thing I can't eat is paracress... perhaps Thifasmom is familiar with it, you certainly can't eat it raw as it makes your mouth numb like anaesthetic...  :-\

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2009, 18:59:24 »
celery and sprouts - yuck!

broadbeans i am not keen on but can eat to be polite...

can't think of much else...

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2009, 19:28:30 »
I think it can be down to the recipe used for cooking, I like most vegetables, some more than others but can not eat cucumber, (I know it is a fruit) but I end up tasting it sour after for ages, even if it touches a lettuce leaf or tomato, I can not put it to one side, it leaves that 'taste'.

I love beetroot, especially when it is still warm with mayo' and cheese, last year a friend whose family hate beetroot made some beetroot and chocolate muffins. Her family thought they were great, I could not bear the taste. Luckily her dog adored them so it saved any embarrassment with me not eating mine.

khol rabi, I like grated as part of a salad but cooked, it is tasteless. I thought I did not like marrow, but roasted with garlic and herbs, I enjoyed.

Broad beans with the inner skin peeled off served in a tomato sauce, like baked beans I think is delicious but plain steamed or boiled I find them rather bitter.

Kale I am not fond of the texture the same with chard. Yet both are lovely when tiny as part of a salad.

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2009, 19:42:24 »
Do not think that there is a veg that I do not like.  ;)
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

amphibian

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2009, 20:25:24 »
I am prone to having as my favourites, veg that others frequently don't like. So I love Sprouts, broadbeans and cabbage... however parsnips, now what is it with parsnips, I can't abide them roasted or in a stew, but I love parsnip crisps and parsnip soup.

So all in all there is no veg that I hate altogether, just depends how they are prepared.

Twoflower

• Hectare
  • Three girls and a cat!!!
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2009, 20:28:20 »
parsnip :P Also i know it's not veg but gooseberries. If a plant has that many thorns even on the fruit it doesn't want you to eat it!

goodtimecharlie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2009, 20:32:02 »
swede
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 20:33:50 by goodtimecharlie »

grotbag

• Hectare
  • granddaughter(miya) in Christchurch,Dorset
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2009, 20:34:31 »
I dislike (hate) most veg,but love growing it  ;D ;D ;D

luap

• Not So New ...
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2009, 20:38:27 »
swede and jerusalem artichoke,love globe artichoke thou ;)
2 plots?you greedy sod!!!!

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2009, 21:18:45 »
hmmm nothing if its cooked a way i like but broadys, soya beans on their own and okra
in anything appart frm veg curry is disgusting

lbb

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2009, 21:38:35 »
Spinach :-X :-X :-X  Should be banned.  Other than that I like just about all veg.  Just as well I ain't a..... vegetarian ;D ;D ;D   (I'll get my coat.....taxi ;D ;D)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2009, 22:01:01 »
well lets see i love or like most veg and generally if its cooked right I'll most likely enjoy them all (i don't do the boil veg thing at all :P).

veges i have stayed away from for quite some years now have been cabbage and cauliflower but will eat them if served to me, I'm not into sprouts and have never eaten swedes, turnips, celeriac, globe artichokes and so I'm growing all of these this year to see if picking fresh and preparing them myself will make a difference.

The only thing I can't eat is paracress... perhaps Thifasmom is familiar with it, you certainly can't eat it raw as it makes your mouth numb like anaesthetic...  :-\

never heard of it Saddad had to google it. i think (emphasis on think) i recognise the plant and its flowers and the oldies back home might recognize it as a medicinal herb but i see its mainly used in Brazil.

and okra in anything appart frm veg curry is disgusting

lbb

as i child i would have agreed with you but you need to get someone to cook you up some okra and rice with salted fish (cod) as part of the dish, absolutely yum!! ;D

amphibian

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2009, 22:04:16 »
swede and jerusalem artichoke,love globe artichoke thou ;)

I love Jerusalem Artichoke but I am not sure they love me.... PAAAAARP!

Lucho

• Not So New ...
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2009, 22:11:09 »
aubergine and celeriac - bleugh!

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2009, 02:25:59 »
Spinach :-X :-X :-X  Should be banned.  Other than that I like just about all veg.  Just as well I ain't a..... vegetarian ;D ;D ;D   (I'll get my coat.....taxi ;D ;D)

Hurrah, someone else that won't eat that rank weed :D.... add broccoli and okra to that list

chrisc

SPUDLY

• Acre
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2009, 04:11:30 »
Thanks for the replies everyone, knew i wasn't alone. Think it all stems from childhood, and that i would have grown out of it at 40.
The only thing I can't eat is paracress... perhaps Thifasmom is familiar with it, you certainly can't eat it raw as it makes your mouth numb like anaesthetic...  :-\
;D ;D ;D. I wonder if i could sneak some into the other half's dinner.
I think I've got to get more adventurous with the cooking side of things, and find myself a good cookbook dedicated to veg.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 04:48:03 by SPUDLY »

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2009, 07:59:32 »
It looks quite pretty too Spudly...  8)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2009, 08:46:06 »
Saddad, turnip as a soup base - blaagghhh. Still don't see the point, can make soup bases out of much nicer things  ;D (IMO).
lots of peeps don't like Okra - I love it but it has to be cooked just right, over cook it and its slimy, cook old or unfresh and yuck its all stringy

calamityjayneuk

• Half Acre
  • Stanley, Co Durham
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2009, 09:09:52 »
swede and celery ikkkkk

KT I'm a veggie too - save a space in the taxi for me  ;D
When I'm not working, I'm diggin' or craftin'

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal