Author Topic: Advice needed please  (Read 3928 times)

chuff

• Half Acre
Re: Advice needed please
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2009, 20:55:17 »
hi sparklebug, don't be dis heartend plots are becoming very hard to get now what with the waiting lists being so long. my plot is clay so I made raised beds from wood that I got for FREE from a plumbers merchants, they are the crates that they have the copper piping delivered in ;D what little good soil I had I put into the beds which are 8ft x 4ft but only about 6" high topped them up with the cheapest compost I could buy and carved the paths out of the clay and set the beds about 2 inches down. you will be surprised at how much you can grow because you plant closer together than you would on a traditional plot, will upload some photos of my plot if I can maybe they will give you some inspiration ;D

sparklebug

• Not So New ...
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2009, 22:36:09 »
aww thanks chuff.  I've got say i'm a very happy bunny tonight as i viewed the most wonderful allotment today and sent off the forms straight away.  There's established raspberries, currants and strawberries and a little ramshackle shed.  The plot only needs a forking over and there's a permenant frame for sweetpeas.  I fell in love with the plot as soon as i saw it and can't wait to start tidying the site and planting my potatoes and onion sets.

xx

lushy86

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2009, 22:38:38 »
Woohoo Sparklebug!

What did I tell ya!

Congratulations  :D :D

Lushy x
Make mine a large one!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2009, 22:39:55 »
Congratulations, hope you and the plot will both be very happy together..  ;D

sparklebug

• Not So New ...
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2009, 22:41:44 »
The site secretary was also a very sweet old gentleman who was so friendly and whilst walking around the site was saying things like "oh look an old bench, you can have that" lol.

I think i'm going to enjoy every minute of the allotment and will probably be down there more than i'm at home :D

x

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2009, 16:26:42 »
ooooo lucky you! sounds like you landed on your feet there, and with nice people around it seems like its the perfect place
Happy planting!

lolabelle

• Hectare
  • nero
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2009, 16:42:57 »
good luck with your new lottie  ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2009, 19:13:23 »
You must have trod in something Sparks.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2009, 19:54:37 »
The trouble is the council officials are most likely not gardeners!

Soil is soil to them.

I have noticed a difference in our council allotment managers this year.

The top man we have dealt with  over the years had an allotment himself and he new what we are up against. So when you talked to him you got a bit of sense in return.

He retired from the job last year and has been replaced by two non gardening ladies.

Already I have noticed a difference;  paying my allotment rent earlier was a trauma so god only knows what will happen if we have any allotment queries to be dealt with.

BTW I hope this is not construed as sexist my point is why do they persist in employing inexperienced people (men or women)in these post?

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2009, 20:22:12 »
I'm afraid it is the way the councils work. People get promoted to another job if they are good at the job they are doing. They keep getting promoted until the come to a job they are useless at. Instead of being demoted to the job they were good at, they stay in the one they are useless in, until they retire.

So nearly every  job on the council is being done by people who do not have a clue about what they are supposed to be doing.

chuff

• Half Acre
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2009, 08:33:40 »
aww thanks chuff.  I've got say i'm a very happy bunny tonight as i viewed the most wonderful allotment today and sent off the forms straight away.  There's established raspberries, currants and strawberries and a little ramshackle shed.  The plot only needs a forking over and there's a permenant frame for sweetpeas.  I fell in love with the plot as soon as i saw it and can't wait to start tidying the site and planting my potatoes and onion sets.

xx
congratulations sparklebug, happy plotting ;D ;D ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2009, 08:40:35 »
So nearly every  job on the council is being done by people who do not have a clue about what they are supposed to be doing.

It's not just councils where people are promoted beyond their ability...
 :-X

sparklebug

• Not So New ...
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2009, 09:57:39 »

It's not just councils where people are promoted beyond their ability...
 :-X

Too true but i'd better not say anything as they're probably monitoring everything we say  ;) and i'll get arrested for putting the country at risk or something just as silly  ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2009, 11:17:23 »
The difference is that in governent you're not just promoted beyond your ability. You get in the clique and they keep promoting you just because you're in it. Being able to do the job before the promotion before last isn't a requirement.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal