Author Topic: Advice needed please  (Read 3924 times)

sparklebug

• Not So New ...
Advice needed please
« on: March 30, 2009, 20:53:47 »
I started digging my new plot today but found that under 1cm of topsoil it's nearly pure clay. The council took the top soil off with a digger (to remove some brambles etc) and left mostly subsoil.   The council allotment officer has said that i can put the top soil back on my plot but it's several tons of soil that's missing.

My dilemma is, will it be worth the back breaking work of doing this by hand or should i hand the allotment back and go on a waiting list for one that's actually got some soil.

At the moment i just feel so deflated as there's only me to do the work and i don't think i'm fit enough to shovel that much soil.

I have thought about doing smallish raised beds but i can't see that they will produce enough crops to justify spending £55 a year on allotment rent.

Oh what i'd give for a plot that's got brambles lol

Thanks

Theresa
x

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
Re: Advice needed please
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 21:21:04 »
Theresa

Did the council leave the scrapped top soil on site?  If so, whilst it's hard work you cold barrow the stuff back or can the council provide you with some compost to replace it?  Why not have a barrow party and get some friends to help?

Clay does have some redeeming features (honest) - great for all brassicas and spuds will be OK - it does hold lots of nutrients - as well as water.  You will find that most allotment sites are based on clay - which has been improved or made more workable over time.  All digging is hard work but finding the technique is key - as well as using a 'proper grown-up spade'.  My best and most obvious tip is to only load the spade with an inch width of soil to turn over, that is much easier and quicker than trying to copy a 16 stone navvie who can turn a foot of soil at a time.  Eristic has a blog that explains digging methods.

I can't advise you on whether to hand back the plot - yes, it is daunting when you first start - regardless of soil quality but always possible.  I pay about the same per year and can't think of another hobby that would be a cheap (although I usually end up spending a tad more ::))  You don't have to get the full plot cultivated in one year - raised beds could be the way to go and it's amazing how much you can get out of a relatively small space.

Whichever you decide - remember you are supposed to enjoy this ;)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 21:28:23 »
Why on earth (no pun intended) do they do that... it makes me want to scream  >:(

sparklebug

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 21:31:10 »
Thanks for the advice, i think i'm still in shock after seeing so much orange clay today. Before i make any drastic decisions i'll look at the plot with a clear head to see what can be redeemed as i really enjoyed my time up there today (before i saw the dreaded clay).

The soil is just off the plot in heap to keep intruders out lol.  The council officer wasn't much help at all, she just wanted to get me off the phone double quick!

I've been reading that ponds are good for encouraging wildlife so perhaps i could dig a little pond and site the compost bins etc over most of the clay area.

I suppose on the bright side i could start pottery lessons as i made a clay ball that went very solid and hard lol.

Sadad they did it to 10 plots last week.  Mine is the worse affected but the poor bloke next to me had spent hours digging manure in and the council removed the whole lot.  Plot 10 had spuds and veg in and they have completly ruined the plot and the plot holder is on holiday and gets back this friday!

Theresa

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 21:37:45 »
Looks like the Sh1t and the spuds have really hit the fence then...  >:(

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 06:03:23 »
That`s what you get when the council person who looks after the allotment side of things knows nothing about gardening Our council employs a gardening idiot to administer all our sites.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 07:28:11 »
The soil is just off the plot in heap to keep intruders out lol. 
Theresa

Hi Theresa, I don't think all is lost as if the soil is nearby then bit by bit with a wheelbarrow you will be able to put the soil back where it belongs. At the same time you will be able to barrow the soil to exactly where you want and decide where your beds are going to be. And the best bit - you will be able get something planted this year!
Hope its not looking quite so bleak and daunting today

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 08:25:20 »
I'd have thought that counts as criminal damage! >:(

sparklebug

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 08:52:30 »
The soil is just off the plot in heap to keep intruders out lol. 
Theresa

Hi Theresa, I don't think all is lost as if the soil is nearby then bit by bit with a wheelbarrow you will be able to put the soil back where it belongs. At the same time you will be able to barrow the soil to exactly where you want and decide where your beds are going to be. And the best bit - you will be able get something planted this year!
Hope its not looking quite so bleak and daunting today

Thanks, when it's put like this it doesn't seem too daunting.  I think i'll mark out the beds and take it from there

x

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 09:50:36 »
It's funny you should mention pottery...I had a moment of despair a couple of weeks ago when I thought ditching the vege growing for pottery might be a good idea!

Why not make raised beds and fill them with the soil you're bringing back?

sparklebug

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 11:18:55 »
Hi, thanks for your help everyone but after having another look this morning i've decided that i really can't cope with that much heavy work, the top soil that's been removed is full of broken glass and brick and my budget for raised beds is zero.

I'm on a waiting list for other allotments which have got topsoil lol and for now i'll have to concentrate on making my little back yard as productive as possible.

Fingers crossed that i'll be back soon with another allotment for your kind advice.

Best regards

Theresa

lushy86

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 12:23:58 »
Hi Sparklebug

That's a shame but I think you did the right thing, I was offered an unsuitable plot last year and in my excitement I took it then was unable to do anything with it   :(- you have to know your limitations.  The happy ending is that I now have a much better plot and am loving it!  :)

Your patience will pay off in the end I'm sure - good luck  :D

Lushy x
Make mine a large one!

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 12:55:08 »
Why on earth (no pun intended) do they do that... it makes me want to scream

Because in spite of long waiting lists, people refuse to take on plots that are covered in brambles.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 16:23:03 »
Hi Sparklebug. What a shame but I'm sure you've made the right decision for you.
Good luck and and hope you don't have to wait too long

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 17:35:15 »
I hope the other two lottie holders sue the arse off the council,  I certainly would not let the tossers get away with that, I've never heard of anything like this being done before and Sparklebug if the soils nearby then roll up your sleeves and start barrowing the soil back you don't need wood for raised beds and seive what soil needs it I'm sure you can get some friends to help, 5 or 6 trips to the lottie and you'll soon see it moving.   ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

sparklebug

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 18:30:52 »
hi kev, i hope they do too as it must have been back breaking work digging the manure in as the plots were full of tree roots and bricks and from what i've been told by other plot holders the bloke had worked blooming hard to make it a fine tilth (if that's the word).

I think fate is smiling on me as i've got some more to look at tomorrow, they're a bus ride away but hey if they've got top soil i'll have one of em lol.
I'm sure the bus driver won't mind a spade on the bus :)

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2009, 23:07:18 »
I'm sure the bus driver won't mind a spade on the bus

You're not allowed to call them spades any more. They are now colour challenged digging implements.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2009, 23:16:22 »
Bus drivers are fine with spades, forks, sickles, machetes etc... but muddy boots are pushing it.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2009, 07:40:18 »
Why on earth (no pun intended) do they do that... it makes me want to scream

Because in spite of long waiting lists, people refuse to take on plots that are covered in brambles.
we didnt!! we jumped at the chance for our plot,ten foot high in thick brambles,and dont regret it for a second,the shame is that plots are allowed to get in that state in the first place!!!! which,im happy to say,since becoming a com member of our site,no longer happens,we were determined to achieve this!
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2009, 08:06:00 »
One of mine was covered in neck high brambles, interspersed with self set damsons (up to 15 years old)... then couch and bindweed, mind that was back in the early 90's when you couldn't give them away...  :o

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal