General > RHS Question & Answer

Gardening career..?

(1/4) > >>

Digitalis:
Is there much chance of having a successfulcareer in gardening/horticulture?

I'm still learning each day as I've recentlt got my first allotment, but I find the whole prospect of working in horticulture fascinating.

Anyway, I've seen a local course at King's Heath Park in Brum, and I'm seriously considering going for it. It's a two year HNC in Garden Design, for one day a week. It covers both design and general horticulture.

But is it worth it? Is there enough work out there? It would be great to be self-employed, but wouldn't work dry up in winter?

Should I just have gardening as an enjoyable hobby?

betula:
You will love Kings Heath Park school of Horticulture.

I spent two years there and finished last July.

As a jobbing gardener I have had too much work in the summer and not enough in the winter but there are so many ways to use those qualifications..

Digitalis:
What do gardeners do during the winter to keep the money coming in?

Did you do the HNC, betula?

betula:
No,it would have cost me three thousand pounds and I can not justify it.

I have another half who keeps me in state of luxuryLOL

I have City and Guilds level two certificate.

I would say if you have not studied horticulture at a lower level you may find the course a little OTT.

Just my opinion. ;D

laurieuk:
How times change I started as a garden-boy in 1948 on a very low wage because I was learning the trade. I am now 78 in a couple of weeks and still have to turn work down at an hourly rate that seems stupid. Apart from 2 years national service I have never been out of work. I have no "qualifications" only experience. I went self employed in 1986 but only accepted jobs that were for 12 months a year. I am still with some of those same people now but will soon pack up. It is a very satisfying job and with the very high rates of pay offered now you should be able to make a good living. My only regret is being in a "tied" house as we will in the near future find ourselves without a home.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version