Author Topic: Greenfly aphids  (Read 2576 times)

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
Greenfly aphids
« on: September 12, 2004, 09:47:57 »
Are greenfly and aphids the same thing? I think they are. What I have on my pepper plant now are lots of tiny little green things that look like aphids. I have read that you can use soapy water as a method of getting rid of them. I washed my pepper plant yesterday with a weak solution but today there seem to be just as many if not more on the plant. How soapy should I make the solution? I'm using the Ecover dishwashing liquid but don't want to make it too strong incase I kill the plant along with the aphids. Also how does the soapy water work, does it kill the aphids or simply wash them off. I started squishing them this morning but have given up, there are just so many of them.

And to top it all, when I was busy squishing I discovered an earwig hanging onto one of the stems.  :'(
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re:Greenfly aphids
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2004, 11:34:18 »
Yes - earwigs love peppers - especially where they are crowded together.

Aphids? Yes - same thing. But it means that you haven't been doing your homework if you have a large infestation now. If you check daily, you can often keep things under control. Keep going with finger & thumb. That may still be the best solution.

Detergent is not designed as a pesticide, however much it may be used. Soft soap is an older solution. You can buy organic 'fatty acids'. It 'bungs them up'. But you must hit every beastie -  soap is not systemic. = Tim

« Last Edit: September 12, 2004, 11:38:07 by tim »

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2004, 11:56:55 »
Thanks Tim. I don't want to go out and buy anything as it's only the one plant that I have and I imagine it won't be long before it finishes fruiting. I think I'll just keep on with the squishing as you suggest. I did manage to get a lot this morning but when you look again there is always one (or more!) that you miss. The plant was outside all summer with no sign of aphid but I brought it inside my conservatory last week to try and get some more heat and light and now these beasties have appeared.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2004, 15:09:29 »
The ones you miss won't do much harm in the time left. = Tim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal