Author Topic: New allotment starting in June/July - previously paddock for hose and sheep  (Read 1368 times)

Folderol

• Not So New ...
Looks like our little group - about 12 of us - will be acquiring some land to start allotments in June this year - or maybe as late as July.

Apart from waiting and putting in spuds later, what's best to start with, bearing in mind it'll take a week or two to get the land rotavated  and marked out etc.

Medium heavy soil with some light clay pockets

SPUDLY

• Acre
Not sure about the spuds, they should be going in soon. If it is as late as july, you could pot up some winter cabbage.
If setting in june and july the following can go in.
Beetroot
Beans climbing, runner
Calabrese
Carrot
Cauliflower
Kale
Radish
Turnip.

Think you are going to have your hands full in june and july, as most of thses have to go in straight away for a sucessful crop, but good luck with it all.

iain j

• Quarter Acre
How did you go about getting the land ?
Iain j

Folderol

• Not So New ...
First we asked the Parish Council as they're bound to look into it for us. I'm the Parish Clerk so the finding out fell to me.
There was no parish land available, but two of the councillors came up with names of people in the village who own a field that at preset is unused.
We approached them.
One is a builder and his land, though good soil, and well drained, has builders' 'stuff' all over it. It's also a bit small.
Over the road another better sized plot looked suitable, but it overlooked someone's back garden and was in the way of spectacular views so we felt uneasy about using it as it would obviously antagonise the neighbours and we're a small village and we don't want to create aggro.
However, when we approached our neighbours, whilst they did voice concern, they offered us alternative land that they owned down the road, and referred us to another land owner that might be friendly. It looks as though this last one will develop.
It's also amazing how well people loojk upon allotment holders. Everyone is very helpful and positive. So the trick is  think positive and don't give up

Tulipa

• Hectare
Folderol,

Good luck with your new allotment, I hope it goes well.  It is brilliant that you are getting such good help.

I just have one suggestion, that rotovation can make things harder for you in the long run.  Our allotment site was extended last year onto land that had been used for ponies.  The Parish Council had the land rotovated before handing it over and the people taking on the allotments had a huge job trying to remove all the cut up pieces of couch grass root that had sprouted.  In fact a couple gave up completely. 

Rather than having it rotovated before the plotholders start would it be better to let each one decide if rotovation is the way for them.  It was so sad seeing people give up because of the couch grass.  The turf can be cut, lifted and stacked, then covered in black plastic and will have rotted down in a couple of years.  Another way is to use lifted turfs as the edge for raised beds, they rot down eventually that way too.

Or a small part of the plot rotovated at a time to be able to deal with all the small pieces of root, and the rest covered in black plastic.

I wish you well, having an allotment is the best thing that ever happened to me, and I know a lot of people on here would say the same, hope it all works out for you and your group, you will find lots of help on here.

T.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Also Winter Lettuce, Winter Radish, Endive, Chicory, French Beans (dwarf)...  ;D

Folderol

• Not So New ...
Thanks everyone - esp. Tulipa about the problems with rotavating when there's couch grass - which there is. One of our number is a professional garden designer and admitted to beiung worried about the couch. She said the only way to really deal wth it is, as you say, scrape it off and black polythene it.

muddylou

• Half Acre
Folderol,

Good luck with your new allotment, I hope it goes well.  It is brilliant that you are getting such good help.

I just have one suggestion, that rotovation can make things harder for you in the long run.  Our allotment site was extended last year onto land that had been used for ponies.  The Parish Council had the land rotovated before handing it over and the people taking on the allotments had a huge job trying to remove all the cut up pieces of couch grass root that had sprouted.  In fact a couple gave up completely. 

Rather than having it rotovated before the plotholders start would it be better to let each one decide if rotovation is the way for them.  It was so sad seeing people give up because of the couch grass.  The turf can be cut, lifted and stacked, then covered in black plastic and will have rotted down in a couple of years.  Another way is to use lifted turfs as the edge for raised beds, they rot down eventually that way too.

Or a small part of the plot rotovated at a time to be able to deal with all the small pieces of root, and the rest covered in black plastic.

I wish you well, having an allotment is the best thing that ever happened to me, and I know a lot of people on here would say the same, hope it all works out for you and your group, you will find lots of help on here.

T.

It's amazing how many good tips you can get from here, I've cut, lifted and stacked some turf (green sides down) today and hadn't thought about covering it in plastic.
I was worried that the weeds inside (and there is some bindweed) would sprout.
Will get some plastic tomorrow, thanks for the tip.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal