Author Topic: What do judges look for?  (Read 5477 times)

gardening-gal

• Quarter Acre
What do judges look for?
« on: March 28, 2009, 21:27:28 »
Last year I entered our local produce show for the first time and did reasonably okay, but I have no idea what judges are looking for.
Anyone got any tips?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: What do judges look for?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 15:58:42 »
Sorry GG too difficult a question to answer as each type of flower or veg might have its own set of rules.

Be more specific then I might be able to help!

Here are some pictures I took many years ago;

http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd27/tgalmanac/Show%20Exhibits/?action=view&current=d1dc4a90.pbw

gardening-gal

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 18:20:49 »
I am more interested in showing veg, onions, potatoes, carrots.
Should I show onions on paper plates, black plates, should they be in sand, do they need to be tied at the top?
Carrots do they need to have the full length of root or do they normally just look for even size? Do the tops need to be cut off?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 19:21:57 »
I am more interested in showing veg, onions, potatoes, carrots.

As I said elsewhere the clues are in the schedule so stick to that failure to do so can render you a disqualification choose how good your produce is!

Should I show onions on paper plates, black plates, should they be in sand, do they need to be tied at the top?

This can depend upon the classification for instance you won't get three giant onions on a paper plate but you will get three under 8oz on it.

Plate colour doesn't matter but sometimes a black cloth will show the exhibit up better, but remember this ..........it also shows up the flaws better as well.

With the large onions I find placing sections of 3" fallpipe say at 1"-1½" - 2" long under a black cloth allows the onions to sit better rather than having them rolling around because of their rounded base.

Regarding leaves; If you are asked for dressed onions you will remove the leaves, tie the neck with string or raffia.

Don't use electricians insulating tape it is naff!

If it is to be shown " as grown" you leave all the leaves and roots on and the crnkly skins unless they are soft and diseased. To take too many off means they are not considered to be 'as grown' so you could be disqualified.

Carrots do they need to have the full length of root or do they normally just look for even size?
Do the tops need to be cut off?

Carrots are usually judged in three categories, short, intermediate and long, not a mixture of all three. A good judge will be able to tell if a small long variety is being shown with a couple of intermediates. Then again you are liable to disqualification again.

My view is; why cheat? I always think the only person you are kidding is yourself.

But that not to say that no one cheats!!

Regarding tops on/off the schedule should tell you this.

Potatoes again come in different categories e.g. Round or Kidney shaped.

In turn these can be classified as White or coloured.

Note varieties such as Kestrel which is a favourite show variety is classed as a coloured although it looks white.

Its the coloured eye that gives it its classification.

Size; Size is not everything but it helps (as it does with all veg) but uniformity is the key issue. If asked for four potatoes it is better to have four smaller ones than say three fairly large and one huge one.

When I am selecting them I put all the likely candidates on the bench and get a piece of string. I put the string around the potatoe and measure the length of the first potatoe. By holding the string at the same point I test the circumference of each potato and put those one that are slightly bigger in one pile and those that are slightly smaller in another pile.

Next I recheck the bigger sized pile to see if I can get the required number I need. Usually you end up with the middle of the road sizes as your final selection.

You can do the same exercise with the smaller sized potatoes because sometimes you get an even better set of uniform potatoes.

This is a good technique to use with all round veg, e.g. Tomatoes & Beetroot.

Now do you see why I gave up showing...............its not good for the blood pressure!!

nextgridgardener

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 19:37:54 »
hmm where did put that garden show booklet.
here it is.

each veg show fit the critera for that type close as possible.
1. classes that have multiple specimens should be similar in size/shape and have uniform colour.
2. no insect or pest damage should visible.
3. specimens should be clean but not scrubbed.
4. crops should trimmed to type specs.
5. root crops should not have excessive root branching
6. veg should be ripe but not overripe.

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 23:41:07 »
Top work Tee Gee, and totally agree with the blood pressure thing. Hubby and family said I was like a woman possessed on the lead up to last year's late summer show!

Can only reiterate what Tee Gee has said gardening-gal, and reading the schedule is paramount.

Good luck with your show :)

Moonbeam65

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 10:51:58 »
I would agree with what most people have said, the show schedule should tell you what to do but one thing i would never do is to tie the necks of onions shallots with string or tape as you will definitely lose points always use raffia as i know that N.V.S judges do not approve of string or tape.
You can always buy a judges handbook which will guide you through the process of what they look for when they are judging veg flowers etc.

gardening-gal

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 14:13:50 »
Thank you everyone :)
I did okay last year and I had no idea what I was doing LOL   I think I upset some of the people on our allotment. One of the chaps who is normally very nice when down the allotment was not the same man when I saw him at the produce show.
I need to make sure that I don't get too serious about it after all its supposed to be fun.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 20:06:01 »
Hi Tee Gee
We seem to be posting about judging on two different sites but I do not want to be nit picking but now the RHS only list two types of carrot : long and other than long. I think this is because there are so many carrot varieties that fall between the previous grades.
Laurie

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 01:02:48 »
long and other than long.

Yes I agree Laurie that the RHS Judging hand book states this, but in our area the schedules were quite often based on RHS rules with slight variations.

This was an accepted practice providing these variations were pointed out in the schedule.

In my day;St Valery ( or strains of this variety) tended to be the long* variety most used, and the other were usually classified as short these were generally sub-divided into short pointed* or stump rooted* varieties and were judged as seperate entities.

** these classifications tended to come from descriptions in the seed catalogues

Container grown carrots ( those with yards of tap root) were generally judged under their own classification.

As I mentioned previously; Potatoes were another ambiguous veg when it came to judging, particularly when shape & colour was taken into account.

Quite often shape was designated as; Round  or Kidney shaped (white) and ditto (coloured) as opposed to the RHS classification of 'white or coloured and of any shape'

Back to your reply; No you are not 'nit picking' you are spot on, but!!  and I think you will agree with me when I say;

People should study their schedule very closely for anomolies such as these.

Generally these problems occur mainly at  smaller shows where RHS rules are often bent to suit the needs of the 'schedule committee'and are rarely a problem at shows being judged to national rules laid down by the respective National societies.

For example; How many times have you seen one entry in a class that is given a 1st prize? knowing full well if this exhibit had been placed in a show judged to national rules, it might not have warranted a prize at all.

Sorry if I have ranted on but the last thing I want to see/hear is that someone has been NAS'd simply because they have not read their schedule!

BTW Best of luck to all you A4A members that are showing this year.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 07:36:47 »
Hi Tee Gee
Do wish people would read the schedule, I judged at a local show yesterday and HAD to disqualify 5 exhibits out of 7 staged. We do not want do things like this but we have to be fair to those who do it right. In the fruit class the schedule asked for 20 gooseberries one exhibit had 15, raspberries should have been 15 we had 10 in one exhibit 12 in another, ten plums were asked for we had nine.I n a class for 3 stems of roses we Had 5 but we got 2 removed, in a vase of garden flowers that said excluding roses, gladioli and dahlias we had a rose we got that removed as well. Where a judge can get things put right by a steward they will do so but sometimes it is just too bad.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal