Author Topic: What am I going to talk about?  (Read 1116 times)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
What am I going to talk about?
« on: March 29, 2009, 06:40:09 »
It's our A.G.M. this morning and as Secretary, I am supposed to be giving a report.  I say "supposed" because I don't know what I'm going to talk about!

I've got a feeling that the Chairman, who gives his report just before I do, is going to cover the things which I could talk about.

It's my first year as Sec. and I have really enjoyed it.  I don't suppose I could get away with just saying that, could I? :)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 06:42:36 by Squash64 »
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

sarah

• Hectare
Re: What am I going to talk about?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 09:19:46 »
yes.  i think you should talk about your first year as secretary. the highs, the lows etc etc. the learning process, the helpfulness (or otherwise) of the rest of the committee. etc etc. good luck its a daunting task. ;)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 10:31:16 »
As treasurer I always speak after both of them... so the "what they said" comment is normal before people start nit-picking over where that 5p went...  :-\

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 10:31:35 »
It's probably too late to be posting this, but the Secretary has certain duties, and these should be the subject of the statement.  It's not just a jolly!

You need to affirm that the records and minutes have been taken properly, and explain where they are published.

Talk briefly about any returns that have been made to statutory authorities, including anything to do with planning consents.

Whether any complaints were made or issues raised and how they were dealt with.

Anything else that's been published or promulgated.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 10:33:13 »
Great, can I get the sec to  do my FSA return then... rather than just sign it...  ::)

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 14:20:35 »
Great, can I get the sec to  do my FSA return then... rather than just sign it...  ::)
It's the Secretary's job to do it! You, as Treasurer, merely provide the financial information (although, in practice, it's a good idea to sit down together & do it.) But the onus is on the Secretary.

As for AGMs - as Secretary I'm directly responsible to the Committee, so detailed matters of correspondence, complaints, forms, etc is reported on a regular basis to them and minuted. The overall results of this provide the ammunition for the Chairman's report; I don't give one at the AGM, but am on hand to answer any detailed questions from the floor and fill in background information. (The Secretary is a "Sir Humphrey" to the Minister - merely a humble servant & facilitator....!)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 14:28:26 »
Thanks everyone for all your really helpful replies - why didn't I think of posting this yesterday!

We had the meeting this morning and I spoke about a couple of the things which I have been directly responsible for:- splitting plots and our email group.  Everything went well and I wasn't too nervous.

At the end of the meeting one of the plotholders thanked the committee for all our hard work, which was very nice.

Thanks again
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 15:05:40 »
Well done Betty...  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal