Author Topic: squash?  (Read 1445 times)

simmo116

• Acre
squash?
« on: March 30, 2009, 18:19:30 »
hiya can anyone recomend a squash that i can grow between my sweet corn im going to try the two sisters planting method and maximise on space.thanx in advance ;D
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 18:24:48 by simmo116 »

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: squash?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 18:27:20 »
Have you disowned the third sister then... ? It would be fine for all but the Mammoth/Atlantic Giant types... I'd grow crown Prince or Etampes in that space.
I'll send you a couple if you haven't bought any...   ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 18:31:24 »
So has anyone seen the other sister, is she on the naughty step.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

simmo116

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 18:38:14 »
i think she eloped....lol
that would be great saddad. are they good eating? is butternut squash a single plant or does it cover many differnt types?

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 10:30:45 »
I think the third sister (beans) only works if you're planning to harvest beans for drying/storage, rather than picking fresh.

Saddad, do you think a Hubbard  (Blue Ballet) will be ok? (I've a very few spare seeds - if anyone wants just PM me.)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 10:42:00 »
Butternut are a group Simmo...
The Hubbard should do OK Barnowl... I'm trying the Chicago... and I'm a bit further north. Jeannine will know best...  :)

Twoflower

• Hectare
  • Three girls and a cat!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 10:54:01 »
I am going to try the same thing. I have blue kuri and crown prince, both  i haven't grown before, also had anyone grown strawberry popcorn? I have three girls who go through the seed catalogues looking for pink seeds to grow :)

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 22:09:31 »
i plan to grow crookneck summer squash with my sweetcorn does any one know if they are better grown up a trellis or would they and the fruit be just fine trailing on the ground ???.

I am going to try the same thing. I have blue kuri and crown prince, both  i haven't grown before, also had anyone grown strawberry popcorn? I have three girls who go through the seed catalogues looking for pink seeds to grow :)

i must remember to not let my girls meet your girls ;)

Angelah

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 22:01:28 »
We did this with a similar sized area last year. We only had butternuts, so planted 4 in wioth the sweetcorn. One was almost decimated by slugs and one just never did much, but two went mad!!! They did spread loads, but we didn't pinch them out until really late. We had a total of 12 squashes, the smallest of which put shop bought ones to shame! Most were huge, we've just eaten the last one!

This year I have loads of different types to try!!! We've got the squash bug!!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal