Author Topic: Runner Beans with roots coming out of soil?????  (Read 5151 times)

Monnydite

• Not So New ...
Runner Beans with roots coming out of soil?????
« on: March 30, 2009, 15:27:03 »
Last year I planted my runnerbeans successfully indoors in small individual pots (those cheap plastic ones all joined together) so thought I would do the same this year. For some reason I thought it would be right to plant them with the little white bit uppermost. They have started to germinate, but the roots seem to be poking out of the soil first. I took one out and saw that the leaves come out from the other side of the bean and realise maybe that I should have planted the beans the other way up! I also know I didn't plant them deep enough. I know beans will find their way to the surface as 3 or them have already done this but should I just leave the rest or should I disturb them and replant the others. I'm just a bit worried about the roots poking out of the soil.

raisedbedted

• Hectare
Re: Runner Beans with roots coming out of soil?????
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 15:30:23 »
I would think that they will be fine and will right themselves.

My biggest concern would be where youre going to keep them from now until a 'frost clear' time such as mid - late May?  I would think you would end up with a jumbled mass of plants by then and seriously pot bound.
Best laid plans and all that

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 15:31:20 »
i would use something deeper like a trough as they don,t like being disturbed
i don't belive death is the end

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 15:31:55 »
agree with above its a bit early yet  ???
i don't belive death is the end

Monnydite

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 15:41:16 »
Yes... I have got a bit carried away with planting seeds too early. The packet did actually say they can be sown indoors in April, so I have jumped the gun a bit haven't I!!! But I have got a greenhouse so I will put them in there as soon as they're all through.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 15:54:53 »
Welcome to the site...

They won't pollinate well if you mean "plant" them in the greenhouse they need insects..  :-X

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 19:25:12 »
I start them in pots as well, but I bury the seed. I don't think it matters which way up it is, but it needs to be well down in the pot.

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 05:51:39 »
I will not sow my runner for a another 8 weeks yet so you are far too early to start now its still March I start my runners around the middle of May and plant out the first week of June. One degree of frost will kill them off even if you grow them in a green house unless the green house is heated.
The big problem growing runner beans in a green house is getting them to set as they need insects to pollinate the flowers

Monnydite

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 11:21:24 »
No, I wasn't going to grow them in the greenhouse, I was only going to keep them in there until I plant them out in the allotment in May. I know I have planted them too early and they might not be up to much when planting time arrives so I will sow another batch of beans in a couple of weeks time.  In the meantime, I had better start thinking about getting my bean poles up!!!

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 12:00:56 »
Hi there~ Monnydite.

Tee Gee has an excellent tutorial on runner beans! I am sure he wont mind me directing you to it
http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Runner%20bean/Runner%20Beans/runner%20beans.html

Duke :)

dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Monnydite

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 12:14:34 »
Hi Duke

Thank you for the tutorial which was excellent. I can see what mistake I made in planting the beans. I should have planted them in an upright position. Planting them in the way I did has caused the problem with the roots sprouting up first and coming out of the soil. So this video has answered my question brilliantly. Also I haven't put them on a hot bed like Tee Gee did but my house is hot enough and I have had no problem in germinating them. Of course the other mistake is in planting them too early... but never mind, we'll see what happens. At least my next batch of beans can be planted the right way up!! Thanks again.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 13:04:13 »
Hi again,

You are not alone Monnydite ...I sowed my runners way too early last year (my first having an allotment). They got all tangled up in one another I ended up unravelling them and breaking the stems too!! I have certainly learned that lesson the hard way. I was using a plastic covered mini greenhouse outside to harden them off so they got tangled in the shelves of that too  ::) The good news is that sometimes we have to learn from our mistakes! Another good thing is that there are so many experienced gardeners on here to advise us:)
Obviously you still have loads of time to start over :)

Duke

dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 13:33:08 »
You could risk planting them out next to the canes and protect them with a "wall" of thick polythene round the bottom 3' of the canes.  If we have mild weather you might get away with them surviving and get early beans.   If you are going to lose them because you can't untangle them etc. you have nothing to lose but time and effort.   Just an  idea.  I grow some early beans like this but not quite as Early as you have but know the feeling of wanting to get ahead.  Last year I was quite lucky with the weather.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal