Author Topic: Sweetcorn germination  (Read 9849 times)

jellied

• Not So New ...
Sweetcorn germination
« on: March 27, 2009, 22:32:18 »
Trying sweetcorn for the first time, and got the first lot on the window sill germinating away. Probably.

It's been a week and nothing has happened. Do they actually show signs? A small root? A stem. My book of all things allotment related doesn't actually spell out what to look for.

Pink Fingers

• Quarter Acre
  • That's the pot planted, now for the veg ...
Re: Sweetcorn germination
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 22:35:58 »
I can't claim to be an expert, but I have some growing in loo roll tubes for the grandchildren to plant out.  They've been in a couple of weeks and the tops are showing through - pointed green shoot thingy.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 23:04:45 »
first thing that happens is a fungal growth starts, then a root, then a shoot!  ;)
You couldn't make it up!

jellied

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 03:36:24 »
Thanks for the tips

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 04:27:47 »
I thought it was a bit early to sow corn but have put some in anyway, we have been saving cobs every year for 5 years now from one a friend gave us, it reproduces well every year. (some do not I am told) I only wish our friend gave us a name for the variety. We call it Dunnow now that we have been asked so often.

I had three cobs saved from last year. I keep them in brown envelopes in separate places, just in case mould or something sets in. Usually not, they keep well. So, I have spread the dried kernels on compost and covered, in a seed tray.

As they appear they get transferred into troll tubes and great care is taken of the long tap root.

If it is too cold to plant out but they are getting a bit big I will stand the troll tubes in some small plant pots half filled with soil or compost to give them a little more space.

SPUDLY

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 08:19:18 »
Hi Jellied,

Not sure where you are, but i think its a bit early unless you are putting them in a poly tunnel. I start mine off in a shed on the plot, but they dont go outside until late may, after all risk of frost has gone. When outside plant them in a grid about 15 inch's each way. Sweetcorn is wind pollinated. If you plant them in a sheltered spot, gentle shake the plant when the tassles have formed at the top of the plant. If planted in an open area dont worry the wind will do the work. Think you should get some back up seed, and set some more mid to late april, ready to go out late may. Hope it goes well, best tasting sweetcorn i had last year. Pick just before you take them home then, straight into the pot.

reddyreddy

• Hectare
  • Everybody dies but not everybody lives...
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 08:31:57 »
or cook on site - yum :)

SPUDLY

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 08:45:52 »
or cook on site - yum :)

I have always wanted to do that, but i walk off my plot, passed another and straight into my back gate. from plant to pan in under 1 minute. And smothered in real butter.

jellied

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 09:12:32 »
Currently they are hopefully germinating on the window sill. i was then going to transfer them to a mini-green house and as you say around plant them.

i've got a 2nd packet which i'll delay doing anything with for another few weeks.

shame the weather has turned nasty down here in London - had big plans today!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 10:23:59 »
See how they do, but it is a bit early yet. The vital thing with corn is never to let it become rootbound and stop growing. You can get away with early planting provided you keep potting it on till the weather's warm enough to plant it out.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 10:34:22 »
I have also found that you can't rush Sweetcorn, last year was very good so I will be doing the same again this year, half will be plants  that will be put in pots next week, and when the weather is warmer straight in the ground at the end of april going in to May, :)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 12:13:48 »
As others have said its a bit early yet, I looked back on last years diary I sowed on the 7th of April and most of them  took 17 days to germinate, once there up they should not stay in the pot for more than three weeks as Rob said they become rootbound and with the amount I'm sowing I'm not going to pot on, as Jellied says the weathers not great here in London today so when they are ready to go out we want it to be a lot warmer and the winds seem to get worse every year so I will be aiming to plant out about mid May.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 12:21:49 »
I certainly won't be starting mine until tghe first May Bank Holiday weekend...  ::)

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2009, 12:32:55 »
As others have said its a bit early yet, I looked back on last years diary I sowed on the 7th of April and most of them  took 17 days to germinate, once there up they should not stay in the pot for more than three weeks as Rob said they become rootbound and with the amount I'm sowing I'm not going to pot on, as Jellied says the weathers not great here in London today so when they are ready to go out we want it to be a lot warmer and the winds seem to get worse every year so I will be aiming to plant out about mid May.  ;D ;D ;D

what are you sowing them into and are you using heat to germinate and is mid May generally OK i thought first week of June was the norm, I'm in maidstone Kent, are they able to handle a few coldish nights then?

i really want to get a great crop this year and picked up helpful hints last year on this forum re the three week rule in pots. I'm planning on sowing into recycled bake bean tins with the hope they wont get root bound, was planning to start sowing beginning of May to plant out first week of June. i normally sow in the warm conservatory, this year the plan was once they are up to put them directly into the unheated greenhouse to grow on, does this sound OK ???, I'm so confused now, help!!!!!

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 13:06:15 »
Hi Thifasmon I'll be sowing mine in the plastic water cups I've collected from work, I won't be using heat just letting them come up in the confines of the kitchen.  ;D ;D ;D

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2009, 13:33:15 »
Hi Thifasmon I'll be sowing mine in the plastic water cups I've collected from work, I won't be using heat just letting them come up in the confines of the kitchen.  ;D ;D ;D

once they have germintaed where are you planning to grow them on before planting out.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2009, 13:34:47 »
i was then going to transfer them to a mini-green house and as you say around plant them.

I am curious!!

Why do you want to confine them to a mini greenhouse?

These plants grow quite big, they need the wind to pollinate them, and I doubt if you will be able to grow anything under them as they will obscure light from them.

I have grown sweetcorn under cover before now but have never had good results due to bad pollination. Plus they want a lot of water and to give them this under cover ups the humidity and the pollen is not as easily distributed.

In a tunnel with a lot of air space might be OK, but a MINI greenhouse I am not so sure

You asked what they looked like when they germinated? Have a look here; http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Sweetcorn/Sweet%20corn/sweet%20corn.html

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Sweetcorn/Sweetcorn.htm

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2009, 13:50:19 »
I found Jeannine's essay on growing sweetcorn very helpful last year and grew the best corn I ever had before, until a badger or something ate it all. I hope this link takes you there:

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,40653.20.html

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2009, 14:02:04 »
I sow them one seed in a pot.
Up to 21 days to germinate.
Another 21 days in the pots.
When they look established say 10/15 days up harden off outside in the daytime.
My estimated 42 days will take me into the back end of May.
Plant out after preparing the ground.
This is the way I do it.
Everyone has different ideas and ways and climates so its whats best for you.
And I picked up the 3 week in a pot rule from Jeannine, cheers girl.
Well thats my three pennith for what its worth.   ;D ;D ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2009, 15:08:39 »
OH says she does it and does it mid to late April... that's me told...  :-[

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal