Author Topic: What to plant where the trees were?  (Read 1521 times)

cocopops

• Acre
What to plant where the trees were?
« on: March 16, 2009, 18:42:51 »
We bought our house almost three years ago and have mainly worked on inside renovation.  We liked the fact that there were lots of trees giving us privacy.  Lately they just seem to block the light and view.

We have spent several weekends clearing one side (3/4 done), and now find that we have a large area,with good soil and in full sun that needs some colour.  What can we plant that will give this and spreads over the ground asap?

I have attached some pic to give you an idea:

Regards, Cocopops

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: What to plant where the trees were?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 18:48:48 »
Almost anything with good soil and full sun... are the stumps coming out? If not avoid shrubs as the stumps may encourage honey fungus...  :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 11:18:51 »
Get some tall nasturtiums, plant them out once the danger of frost is past, and they'll cover it quickly for this summer. That'll give you time to plan for something long-term. I plant my nasturtiums outside in late April, but you could start them now in pots under cover.

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 22:25:39 »
Get rid of the 'trees'. That god forsaken leylandii first!!!!
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 22:33:33 »
And then in the third pic. is that laurel? Get rid unless you want a hedge (bit late now)??

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 08:20:53 »
I would put some climbers up the fence Clematis perhaps, certainly for this year, sweet peas are quick.

Pick the perennials you want to grow there and space out, then get a packet of those mixed annuals and sprinkle them in between for the first season, to  get the colour whilst waiting for the perennials to spread out.

You may like to pop in a few beetroot, the foliage looks good and you will get an edible crop too of beets and the young leaves are good in a mixed salad.

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 21:29:17 »
PH,
What fence??????

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 19:00:03 »
Thanks for all of the ideas.  We went even more mad and cleared extra areas to let in light.  Only eight of the b****y pines to do next year.  Nice free wood for the burner in a year or two.

I really went with the nasturtium idea and bought several hundred seeds  ::)  In the other areas I will probably plant some wild seeds and other suggested flowers.

Thanks for the help

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal