Author Topic: leg ulcers  (Read 777 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
leg ulcers
« on: June 15, 2009, 21:34:10 »
does anyone know what sort of diet my mum in law(89) should be following to help her ulcer clear up..she seems to be under the impression she should cut out red meat, I was under the impression protein was good for her..she has had these ulcers for 18 months now, the others have cleared up but others kep appearing.
is it just something to do with her age and fragility or can anything be done ?

lewic

• Hectare
Re: leg ulcers
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 21:54:10 »
Diet-wise I'd say avoid any chemicals or anything out of a packet. No caffeine, sugar, sweeteners or processed food whatsoever. Two litres of filtered water per day. If she has meat, make it organic and in small portions. Take digestive enzymes to help break protein down into the amino acids needed to repair tissue (many elderly people have trouble with this, and the undigested proteins can cause inflammation). Take a good quality antioxidant and probiotic supplement - best see a nutritional therapist (NOT an NHS dietician, they are usually clueless) for advice on what to buy.

Manuka honey has been found to heal ulcers in trials, make sure you get the right type and strength though. It is possible to buy dressings impregnated with manuka - again, see nutritional therapist eg someone ION or BANT registered.  Good luck.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: leg ulcers
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 22:03:56 »
thanks, lewic..she was having honey impregnated dressings on one of the others, it healed up..these two are now down by her ankle as the acid ran down her leg ..the ones on her leg have healed well..maybe she should talk to her nurse about getting these dressings for the new ones..I'll talk to her about the diet etc but chemicals is difficult, she's on about 12 different pills a day  ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal