Author Topic: My new (8ft x 12ft) Greenhouse  (Read 5792 times)

twang20

• Not So New ...
My new (8ft x 12ft) Greenhouse
« on: March 22, 2009, 21:52:05 »
This is my new greenhouse, I am using it for my chilli and pepper plants aswell as some Toms.

Cant wait to get all my plants settled in.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
Re: My new (8ft x 12ft) Greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 22:00:27 »
Congratulations on getting a great greenhouse. Sure you will get great enjoyment from it. Nice photos.

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 22:04:52 »
Looks great. We bought a 10ftx8ft greenhouse at the end of last summer so we are also looking forward to this year!

twang20

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 22:09:21 »
What are you planning on growing in it?
...and does anyone have any tips for me. It's my first time growing in a greenhouse.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 22:18:12 »
Looks well smart.  Apart from seedlings, I grow tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers along with some sacrificial tagetes and basil to protect the crops.

This year I plan to put some overwintering broccoli and some overwinter lettuce in my greenhouse in containers.  I want to utilse it more in the winter as I have never really done that yet.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

susan1

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 22:22:10 »
glad to see that you have installed auto vents. A must in my opinion,
I start all my seeds i there and later on in the season grow cues toms chillis and last year grew some watermellons they didnt grow that big about childrens football size but they were tasty though

susan1

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 22:28:31 »
BTW just noticed remember to fill your bird feeder :)

Weed-Digga

• Half Acre
  • Slough, BERKS
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 22:30:38 »
wow, what a lovely greenhouse! it's such an advantage to have one, we'd be lost without ours now. As others have said, we start off lots of seelings in ours, also plants that don't like the frost like my mini peach tree and early potatoes.
Last year we had indoor cucs too, but they didn't do as well as our outdoor ones.
Mum will probably come along a bit later to add loads more!

Rosie xxx
If it's Rosie's allotment - how come Muggins here does so much digging?

twang20

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 22:52:52 »
Thanks guys. Co-incidentally I potted up a dwarf peach in a large pot today and put it in there, it is beginning to blossom aswell, I got it for my mum for mothers day.
I was thinking of doing cucumbers as it has the wires in place ready for training them but I think i'll decide against it as it will shade my chillis too much.
I am already using the shelving for various types of veg and flower seeds, I also potted up a couple of Canna rhizomes of the variety 'Lucifer' which will be interesting to grow. But I dont want to get too carried away with lots of different things in there. I'll be putting all my Orchids in there next. LOL.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 09:38:12 »
Where's the "green with envy" smiley when you need it? ;D

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 09:57:58 »
Yep I'm greener than your jumper twang - all that potential...
Best laid plans and all that

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 11:03:38 »
I also potted up a couple of Canna rhizomes of the variety 'Lucifer' which will be interesting to grow.

Where abouts are you Twang? as I leave most of my Cannas outside in pots or in the ground over winter, including Lucifer. So hopefully you wont need to leave them in your shiny new greenhouse for too long, that way you can get more in there! The only Canna I cover and fleece up is a Yellow leaf variety, the name of which escapes me at the mo.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 12:13:24 »
I already have three, and share the big school's one but I have greenhouse envy as well!  ::)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 12:49:19 »
3 greenhouses, how lovely.  If I won the lottery I could have a log cabin (like the one that was on this site) and a greenhouse.  One would be sufficient.  But at present I am content with my Argos walk in plastic greenhouse, only cost £30 so that can't be bad, and no glass to clean, also got the kitchen window ledge and an out-house.

twang20

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 14:41:21 »
I also potted up a couple of Canna rhizomes of the variety 'Lucifer' which will be interesting to grow.

Where abouts are you Twang? as I leave most of my Cannas outside in pots or in the ground over winter, including Lucifer. So hopefully you wont need to leave them in your shiny new greenhouse for too long, that way you can get more in there! The only Canna I cover and fleece up is a Yellow leaf variety, the name of which escapes me at the mo.

Thats good to know, I was just going to leave it in there until I see some growth. I live in Norwich so it's not exactly arctic.  I haven't grown Canna before but I love the look of them.

The next addition to the greenhouse is to tart up the entrance area. I just have a temporary ramp at the minute but I have a 6ft x 6ft area that im not sure what to do with. I cant decide between decking or a nice fancy brick weave step and a path leading to it. The area is mostly in shade and I was thinking of building some kind of cold-frame up against the adjacent wall. Is this ideal? I dont know if a cold-frame is meant to be in sun or shade. If not I might just build a little storage area for tools and stuff. Then I intend to install a water butt and possibly an irrigation system.
Choices, choices.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 15:40:54 »
Twang, I think to be safe I'd let it develop its 1st shoots and leaves then bung it out to fend for itself, then next winter you should be ok as it will be a nice strong plant by then. But obviously only my oppinion I don't want to kill your canna off!!

Peasticks

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2009, 11:34:38 »
Thats a smashing big greenhouse - lucky you! ;D

twang20

• Not So New ...
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2009, 21:17:43 »
Here are some update pics, the plants are settling in nicely and pods a' plenty...

Jalapeno

Ancho Poblano

Squash Pepper

Ramiro

Explosive Ember
Putting them in early has payed off. I also have some Toms in there and hundreds of seeds germinating on the shelves, various flowers and veg. ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2009, 21:21:41 »
Excellent...

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2009, 08:18:32 »
Looking great - what is the last pic of - the 1 with the pretty purple flowers?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal