Author Topic: Finding an allotment site.  (Read 789 times)

iain j

• Quarter Acre
Finding an allotment site.
« on: March 22, 2009, 10:46:05 »
Because of the lack of allotments how would I go about finding another site so that we can have another site
Iain j

Buster54

• Acre
Re: Finding an allotment site.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 11:31:12 »
Phone your local council they are obliged to tell you of all the sites in your area and if you ask they will tell you of any vacant plots,once you have this information have a walk around them and look for the neglected ones and ask some questions,good luck
I'm not the Messiah - I'm a very naughty boy."

reddyreddy

• Hectare
  • Everybody dies but not everybody lives...
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 13:45:42 »
Often old timers don't want to give up their allotment but at the same time they can't cope with it all, so I would suggest hanging about local allotments (your council will give you a list) check out the ones that are only part cared for - ie a couple of beds still active then either leave a note - if there is a shed - or visit until you see the owner and ask of they would conside sharing so you work half over but it is still in their name.

kingston boy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 18:51:18 »
'or visit until you see the owner and ask of they would conside sharing so you work half over but it is still in their name.'(quote)

But register on the waiting list. .

Thats how i managed to get my second plot.It took 2 years but because i had put my name down i was fortunate enough to get it in the end.

GlentoranMark

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 19:22:13 »
Can someone tell me is there certain opening times for allotments and do they have a gatehouse keeper? I know every council will have their own policies but I'd like to know in general.

I too don't own an allotment but I got the phone number of my local council which I'll ring tomorrow. It looks like it will be another year growing my spuds in a bucket but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 20:38:12 »
Hiya, Glen, welcome to the site  ;D
the sites I know give you a key, or combination to the gate , no 'opening times', we just go when we want to  :)

GlentoranMark

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 20:44:07 »
Thanks Miss, I have a love for Astronomy and own a small portable scope. I'm in a light polluted area of Belfast and an open space like an allotment would be ideal for viewing and also offer me a bit of privacy. 2 hobbies rolled into 1  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal