Author Topic: Roses  (Read 2037 times)

Inky

• Quarter Acre
Roses
« on: March 16, 2009, 14:05:47 »
Yup more work on the front garden. I Have just been digging up all the god awfull out of control lavender bushed from the front border.

I would like to replace them with roses bushes as they are my favorite flowers. When I told a woman I work with she said, I should try to grow them as they are very hard to care for and die easily. Im not an experienced gardener, but would like to give it more of a go, will I be wasting my time, is it hard work and a bit of a science?

And if I do go ahead, where would you recommend getting good quality plants from at a good price, what varieties would you recommend or suggest avoiding, and is there any set times of year that they should be planted?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Roses
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 14:24:33 »
Advice on roses  ??? ???

You have probably picked the most talked about subject in gardening to ask advice on.

As far as choice is concerned there is no way I would try to answer that question simply because there are thousands of varieties and these are further split down to hybrids, floribunadas, ramblers and climbers.

Then when you buy them there are bare rooted varieties and containerised varieties the latter normally being the more expensive.

I have produced the attached info on roses plus a fair selection of examples for you to look at. http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Rose/Rose.htm

From what you have described I am guessing that hybrid tees & floribundas will be your eventual choice.

May I suggest you have a look in here first then come back to us when you have narrowed your choice down and I am sure we all we try to help you with your choice.

Inky

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 15:01:02 »
Right yes, I have had a read of your article, its very usefull. Hybrid Teas is indeed what Im after.
I like:
National trust
Deep Secret
Blue Moon
Diamond Jubilee
Freedom
Silver Wedding

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 15:06:43 »
Hybrid Teas is indeed what Im after.

Good! glad I have been of assistance!  now its time for you to do some 'googling'!

Inky

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 15:24:03 »
Interestingly the first site that came up for me when I googled Hybrid Tea Roses was Peter Beals Roses, and they are only down the road from me. So might just have to go and have a look, as it looks like they have a huge selection.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 15:29:52 »
I'm going to stick my neck out and suggest Brother Cadfael because it was suggested to us by my mother, who's grown roses for decades.  We're not too good at looking after roses but have found it a very forgiving variety that flowers right through to Christmas.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 11:16:29 »
Roses are quite easy to grow, or they wouldn't be so popular. Just give them a decent soil, a reasonable amount of light, and a light trim occasionally with the shears. No need for fancy pruning unless you want to get a couple of massive show blooms per plant.

Inky

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 15:00:50 »
Okay I know what ones I like, I roughly unmderstand the care. I need to see what my soil ph is.
Im going to plant them at 2ft intervals. I just have 3 further questions.

The place im looking at going to to get them from is only selling as bare root plants till the end of this month, should I aim to get them as bare root plants, or does it not really matter and I get them potted instead (and is this likely to make them cost more?)

I see as well that you cant plant roses in soil that has already has roses in for a couple of years, this made me wonder how long rose bushes generally last for? do they have a certain life expectancy and then need replacing? and will they just keep getting bigger each year, or as they bloom from new growth, do I just cut them right down each year?

And finally the current bed is covered in gravel which Im currently getting rid of, is it worth covering the rose bead with bark or woodchippings to make it look smart or with this just be a pain in the backside is I need to keep the soil loose and feed etc?

simon404

• Hectare
    • Simon's Allotment
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 15:38:37 »
Bare root plants will be fine, potted will cost much more. The reason you shouldn't plant roses where they've been before is because of rose sickness; there's no reason why they shouldn't last 50 years or more; how you prune them depends on the type and variety. The best advice will come from the nursery who sells you your plants - if they can't answer your questions then go somewhere else!  :)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 18:29:30 »
And finally the current bed is covered in gravel which Im currently getting rid of, is it worth covering the rose bead with bark or woodchippings to make it look smart or with this just be a pain in the backside is I need to keep the soil loose and feed etc?
Not a rose expert as such but have grown them.... you could definitely use bark to cover the ground, that way you won't have to weed.  You could always try planting some other plants around the roses, these would supress the weeds and look great too! Re the feeding, the bark shouldn't be a problem. When I plant new things or move stuff around I tend to give them a feed with either manure or blood fish and bone to help them get started properly. Hope this helps

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 19:33:03 »
The best advice will come from the nursery who sells you your plants - if they can't answer your questions then go somewhere else!  :)

When it comes to roses, I'll second that.

I always buy David Austin roses, always top quality, as these days there are black spot and aphid free ones. But you will pay a premium for it.

Dont forget to plant it in a good dollup of manure, that way it cant fail to thrive.

kanan

• i love photo
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 09:24:27 »
good

Inky

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 16:37:16 »
Okay one more qion for now. I have cleared the front garden bed ready. I have ordered a rose catalogue for the place Im going too, and will be buys next Sunday.

My question is, Im going to buy a bag of manure for the bed, should I fork this through the soil before planting or with this be too much for the roses (they will be bare root)< Am I better off just top dressing the soil with it once they are in the ground?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal