Author Topic: Yet more spud questions!  (Read 3294 times)

Digitalis

• Acre
Yet more spud questions!
« on: March 21, 2009, 18:37:17 »
I'm worried about the frosts, and have been told that I should cover the plants up when they emerge with newspaper. But wouldn't this flatten them? Can I not just use upturned pop bottles instead?

And what is 'earthing'? And how do I do it?

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
Re: Yet more spud questions!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 18:55:47 »
as the shoots grow, draw earth up around them with a hoe. wait 'til they about 6 inch high, leave about 2 inches showing after earthing up.
newspaper is not that heavy, a sheet at a time, but this will probably get blown off in any wind!!have you got any plant fleece? this is a good frost protector.
or.... if you expect a frost, spray with water! ;)
You couldn't make it up!

SPUDLY

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 19:00:15 »
Hi C&D

When i plant spuds i start off with the soil flat, then make a V shape in the soil with a hoe where i want to set the spuds. Then plant them out at the required spacings. When this is done draw soil over the spuds with a rake to make a mound over the spuds, so the mound is about4 inchs high along the row. This is earthing up. Spuds planted now and earthed up should be ok. If you have any fleece lay it over the row if a strong frost is forecast, if not plastic will do. When the spuds grow and the green  shoots appear rake more soil over to cover them. This only needs to be done about two or three times. Earthing up is done to keep the daylight off the spuds. Daylight on spuds turns them green and inedible. Hope this makes sence.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 19:19:05 »
Frosts may nip spud's green tops. We do not eat that bit, we eat the bit underneath.

Don't worry about it. They will fight back. At this time of year we will get a variety of weather.

If your potatoes are already showing tops then you must have put them in a bit early.

Otherwise a touch of ground frost whilst they are still under the soil wont touch the tubers.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 09:35:37 »
Frosts just trim back the top growth, they don't damage the roots. If they've got to the point of producing leaves, they're developing strong root systems, and will very quickly recover from frost damage. Don't worry too much.

Digitalis

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 18:24:34 »
When earthing up, do I cover the leaves of the 'seedlings'?

Also, is this ready to go in the ground?:

And which end points upwards? Do I rub off the shoots at the bottom?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 18:45:23 »
Personally I would rub off the long ones.

This is the sort of thing you should be aiming for;

Plus the fact as I think I have mentioned in a previous thread I don't put them in too early.

It will be a week or two before I put my lot in.

I work back 5-6 weeks before the last frosts before I plant out. This timing generally fits in with when they are emerging so they are not usually affected by frost.

Having said that if they have emerged and frost is forecast I just earth them up and completely bury them again.

Which gives me another advantage and that is; the potato bearing roots emerge from above the seed potato meaning that by burying this stem it becomes longer so potentially I get more potatoes per plant.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 19:00:23 »
I put them in when I'm ready to (now) and don't bother about chitting. Some of those I bought a few weeks ago are chitted, others aren't, and I'm going back to the shop during the week. the ones I buy then will go straight in. I don't actually think it makes much difference.

Magnolia

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 20:38:52 »
apologies for jumping on the back of this thread......  can my main crop go in now?  they're chitting nicely.

Digitalis

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 21:18:03 »
So I should leave them out in the light for a while, and rub off the white shoots? They are going in a trench in soil, but I'll fill the trench with compost.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 23:18:28 »
Shove them in and don't worry. They're ready.

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 19:47:12 »
can my main crop go in now?

I thought mine were weeks off.. but went and checked in case there might be some tiny chits. These were stored on my landing, covered with a bin bag to exclude the light so they wouldnt sprout, so got a bit of a surprise!

Unfortunately havent got anywhere to plant them, as it hasnt been dug yet! Bizarrely, the second earlies that were bought at the same time and have been on my windowsill have normal sized chits.

Am also wondering if they are gonners because the chits will probably just break off when you bury them? These are called 'Swift' and they certainly live up to their name!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 19:50:08 by lewic »

SPUDLY

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 20:14:00 »
They should be fine lewic, take the long shoots off and place them in a tray in a cool light place (shed if you have one, or a garage) then get your soil dug over and plant when your ready. Dont worry to much about time, most people on our site have not planted  their spuds yet. They can also be planted without the chits on them.

Digitalis

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 21:25:41 »
Is it worth buying those blight prevention sachets?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 21:48:43 »
What's in them?

Digitalis

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2009, 21:53:43 »
I haven't looked at the ingredients yet. In fact, I didn't even know they existed before I saw the advert.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2009, 15:33:23 »
Is it worth buying those blight prevention sachets?

I presume you mean Dithane 945?

I have used them in the past and I am neither for or against them.

I have this belief; blight spores are carried in the wind and if they land on a surface that is wet they will stick, if the leaf is dry the chances are it will be blown off again.

So all we need is a shower of rain, followed by a warm period which lifts the humidity thus wetting the leaves meaning the blight spores stick to the leaves.

What do you think to this scenario;

I treat my potatoes with Dithane, the bloke in the next plot doesn't.

We get a shower of rain just after I have treated my crop and it washes off my treatment.

The other thing is; I am not always sure I have treated all the leaves (above & below) so any I might have missed might become infected in any case!

Then it is fair to assume that the parts that I do get to because of the density of the leaves is the parts the rain will get to as well.

As I have said the bloke in the next doesn't treat his crop so what is to stop the spores on his crop blowing on to mine?

Perhaps I am being a bit synical but I am afraid I don't bother with such treatments any more, I just take my chances.

Some years I get away with it some I don't. If I don't I cut the haulms down before the disease reaches the tubers.

So then my boy scout training comes into play...........I am always prepared!

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2009, 09:39:32 »
Dithane 945 isn't a cure once you get blight but it can help prevent you getting blight if used when a smith period (blight warning) is forcast in your area.
You need to thoroughly wet your plants with it by using a sprayer, making sure you get it well  in between the leaves.
This is quite easy on  your outdoor tomatoes, a bit more time consuming on your potatoes. But it does work.

Cheers .. Jim

Digitalis

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2009, 21:24:06 »

Maris chitting away.

I'm just going to stick them in next week. Dig a trench, and fill with compost.

Digitalis

• Acre
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2009, 21:47:29 »
How many spuds should I get from 30 seed spuds?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal