Author Topic: Miserable brussels  (Read 2386 times)

Sarah-b

• Acre
Miserable brussels
« on: September 06, 2004, 10:05:12 »
Having really failed with all our other brassicas, I had been thinking our brussels plants were looking pretty encouraging.
I now discover that the actual sprouts are forming and then sort of blowing open.
What is causing it and is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks,
Sarah

ALAN HOWELL

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
Re:Miserable brussels
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2004, 16:49:01 »
Hi Sarah,
one of the causes of "blown" sprouts is windrock,where the plants are not firm in the ground,at the tim of planting I dig a 9" trench then plant the young plants into the bottom,then as they grow gradually fill in the trench allowing them to make more roots further up the stem which gives them a higher rate of stability in high winds.I had the very same problem for a couple of years when I first started allotmenting and an old chap on our lottie site showed me how to do it....Hope this helps.....Alan
I GOT A LOTTA LOTTIE

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2004, 18:55:20 »
Stomp that ground down really really well before planting your sprout plants.  I have been told time and time again, brassicas like to struggle, and the hard a brussel plant has to work, the tighter the buttons will be.  In my lovely Essex clay, so far, they are looking okay............but the night is young!

p.s.  Just a thought, another chap on our plot who has been plotting there for yonks stakes his sprout plants so they don't move.

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2004, 20:43:53 »
Like EJ we stamp the ground (Mr W did make a "tool" of flat square of wood with long 2x2 piece nailed in centre which was great for stamping the ground but it "vanished")  We stake as well as plants grow and they are usually in netted frame so all helps.

Alan that sounds a grat way - think we'll give that a go next time.  At the moment sprouts are looking good and buds aren't blown - fingers crossed again!!
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Sarah-b

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2004, 09:19:46 »
So no hope for them this year then  :'(
But, will try again next year. Not that I really like sprouts, but it's the fun of growing them, isn't it?

Cheers,
Sarah.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2004, 12:54:40 »
Don't like sprouts!  :o  How can you not like sprouts?!  They are my number one, most favourite vegetable in the whole wide world EVER!

Sarah-b

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2004, 13:06:27 »
Well, I suppose they are OK  ;). But currently, my number one TOP TOP most delish veg is chicory (of the little, blanched endive type you get in blue paper in the shops).
This is the way i did it in Normandy: Seared in a little butter, then braised with some cider, with a bit of creme fraiche added at the end - YUMMY.
So will definitely be trying that next year on the lotty.

Sarah.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2004, 13:16:51 »
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, I have them on my plottie as we speak (thanks stephan and Ina!)  I am just waiting for another few weeks before digging some roots up to plant up in a dark place to achieve those wonderful spicy green bullets of leaves.  I shall write your recipe down now so when I have them ready, I will know what to do with them.....as guess what...tis only me that likes them!  I seem to say that an awful lot!!!

p.s.  Have just re-read your message and now wonder if that is what you mean when you say chicory....
« Last Edit: September 07, 2004, 13:17:33 by EJ - Emma Jane »

Sarah-b

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2004, 13:22:39 »
Yes  - think we are talking about the same thing - although there are a lot of different chicorys out there. In the seed catologues these ones are of the "witloof" type. You did them up and replant in a dark place and grow a "chicon".

Just cut them in half longitudinally before popping them in the pan. And white wine works too; red wine is a bit overpowering. (Was eating them nearly everday in Normandy to feed my obsession...)

Do let me know if you manage to grow them successfully.
Good luck...

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2004, 13:40:03 »
Blown sprouts can still be eaten.

I roughly chop them and fry in sesame oil until just starting to brown. Very nice indeed.

You can also do this to the hard buttons as well for a change.

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2004, 22:23:00 »
I expect  not many people still eat "bubble and squeak" but I love it and made with chopped sprouts it is even better . Plenty butter and  black pepper added and tasty bacon slices on the side...... :D
« Last Edit: September 07, 2004, 22:23:28 by Wicker »
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2004, 12:58:17 »
oooo Wicker, you have sped me back to childhood Boxing Day feasts.  Mum always did too many sprouts so she could make a mountain of bubble and squeak!  :P

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2004, 13:55:33 »
Truly a very well brought up girl!!!  ;) One of my sons loves them the other won't touch any green growing thing!  And they were brought up the same way  ???  ::)

P.S. Talking about it yesterday made me want some so am having b&s topnight but made with some of our lovey cabbages and floury potatoes - and corned beef on the side!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2004, 13:56:25 by Wicker »

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2004, 23:34:33 »
Well, we have mum over this weekend, and I have a couple of lovely cabbages on the plot, and some kale......and she does make a mean bubble.  YUM!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal