Author Topic: Overwintering onions  (Read 2219 times)

Sparky

• Quarter Acre
  • New chick on the lottie
Overwintering onions
« on: September 09, 2004, 09:32:30 »
Have i missed the boat with overwintering onions?  The seed packet is very specific about planting dates, which i have missed, and the area for planting them isn't ready yet.  Will they be ok if i plant the seeds in pots first and then put them out in the gound next month or so when they start to come up?

Sparky

Chantenay

• Half Acre
Re:Overwintering onions
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2004, 10:08:34 »
Hi There - I have grown Senshyu the past couple of years. I think you have missed the boat with seeds, so I recommend you save them for next August. I suspect transplanting won't really do, but there will be some one with more experience along soon.
However.....it is not too late for garlic (see thread below) or overwintering onion sets.
And there are other things you can try under fleece/cloches. I sowed a few more carrots and turnips yesterday in the open, and some lettuce and radishes in my little fleeced bit. Good luck!
Chantenay.

JerryB

• Quarter Acre
  • I LOVE WEEDOL!!!!
Re:Overwintering onions
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2004, 11:19:21 »
I have just had delivered a load of onion setts from DT Browns which can be put in Sep/Oct and ready about May time - supposed to store well as well! Here's their website - you may be lucky and they might have some left!

http://www.dtbrownseeds.co.uk/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal