Author Topic: Butternut squash - any point in growing without a greenhouse?  (Read 9851 times)

lewic

• Hectare
I bought some butternut squash seeds before I read all the posts saying they were very difficult to get to fruit in this climate.

I can start them off on a windowsill at home, but my mini greenhouse wont be big enough once they mature (and I can't afford a proper one).

My plot does have a trellis fence running along the right hand side, which gets the sun most of the day. Are they climbers? Am wondering if it would be possible to grow them up the fence and protect them with a makeshift shelter, eg a couple of tent poles and polythene?

Alternatively, someone suggested there were tastier easier to grow squash - what would you suggest?

debster

• Hectare
Re: Butternut squash - any point in growing without a greenhouse?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 14:28:18 »
i have managed to grow them for 2 seperate seasons in Devon with no problem didnt have anything then the out doors and no special treatment and not the best summer ever either

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 14:36:33 »
They won't grow for me here in Sunny Derby... but we all have to be bad with some things...  :-[

Psi (Pronounced 'Si'!)

• Acre
  • Welcome to the jungle!
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 14:54:51 »
I plan to grow mine climbing over frames to save space.  I am in North london, closer to the med though!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 15:18:23 »
They won't grow for me here in Sunny Derby... but we all have to be bad with some things...  :-[

Ha! I grew a couple last year.....well, they didn't fully ripen, but they were a decent size! Trying again this year.... ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 16:20:50 »
they grow very well here in the east! still got some stored on the stairs. start them off indoors, then plant out under my sweetcorn, loads of fruit, and store well. ;)
You couldn't make it up!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 16:30:42 »
Quote from DebP
Ha! I grew a couple last year.....
Did someone mention water melons....  ::)

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 16:33:03 »
Have never had any problem is getting them to grow - fruit - ripen here in sometimes sunny Surrey.  I often fleece them from planting to mid July just to give them a kick start.
Best laid plans and all that

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 16:36:35 »
I'm in Peterborough, grew them all outside last year, no special treatment at all, in fact I neglected them for the whole of the summer... See my gallery for the results.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 19:19:18 »
Could they be trained to grow up a fence like this one? Its strong plastic, holes about an inch diameter.

Plot 69 - I am impressed!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 19:23:13 by lewic »

greenscrump

• Acre
  • Rye, East Sussex
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 19:21:43 »
Hi Lewic, growing them up a fence should be fine, you'll need to support the squash once they form

Could they be trained to grow up a fence like this one? Its strong plastic, holes about an inch diameter.

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 19:33:29 »
It all depends where you are in the UK and the protection methods used for success in growing butternuts. For success in the North of the UK, even in last year's cool, dull and wet summer I used this method:-
 Your best chance of success with Butternuts in the North of the UK, would be to start the seeds of one of the UK bred Butternuts indoors in a propagator in April, transfer the seedlings to a greenhouse, then cold frame, before planting them out in early June under cloches or a purpose made cold frame.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 21:31:23 »
I shall be growing a bush variety butternut as I don't have any walls or fences to grow up  ::)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 21:39:41 »
Only ever grown them outside and not had any problems here in the south-east.  I start the seed indoors on the windowsill and then plant out.  One of my plot neighbours grew them up a cane frame last year - it worked but the fruits were considerably smaller than the ground-grown ones.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 21:55:29 »
Have been growing them upwards for 8+ years, never supported the fruit either, they just seem to take care of themselves and form a thicker neck!

Didn't have as many as normal last year....but it was an unusual year weatherwise!

I just dig a trench, spades depth and width, and fill it with well rotted manure, and cover back with the soil, and as they grow manipulate them where I would like them to grow, works for me!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

KathrynH

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2009, 22:12:34 »
I've been growing them for several years too. I start them off in pots in the greenhouse and plant out when they have grown a couple of big leaves, protecting them from slugs who attack them when they're young. The amount of fruit has varied from year to year but I don't give them any special treatment, just a feed of seaweed now and again and let them wander across the plot wherever they want. I thin the fruits are a bit too heavy to try to train up a trellis.

PJW_Letchworth

• Half Acre
    • the allotment - plot 36a
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2009, 22:50:52 »
I've grown butternut's for a few years now.  They do take a while to ripen but I have had success.  Last year I had to cut them before they'd ripened fully and I finished them off in the conservatory.  A couple of them went a bit furry around the top but the actual fruit was fine.

I would say give them a go, what have you got you lose?
"I will be really pleased when I've had enough of this"

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2009, 14:11:30 »
I shall be growing a bush variety butternut as I don't have any walls or fences to grow up 

Hmm. I didnt think to check whether this one was a bush or a trailer!

Can anyone recommend any other tasty trailing squashes?

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2009, 14:39:10 »
I have never had any problem growing butternuts in the chilly North East. Like DorisP says last year was a bit disappointing, but think that was due to the rainy summer.  Will hopefully have a good crop again this year. busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2009, 14:44:53 »
gem squash would have my vote anyday

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal