Author Topic: Crocosmia/Montbretia  (Read 1449 times)

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
Crocosmia/Montbretia
« on: March 17, 2009, 00:08:03 »
Can I grow Crocosmia/Monbretia (an orange variety) in shade/semi-shade ?

hellohelenhere

• Hectare
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • http://backgardenallotmenteer.blogspot.com/
Re: Crocosmia/Montbretia
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 00:21:23 »
At my old flat, it grew on the northern side of the house - a tall Edwardian house that cast the whole front garden into shade from late morning onwards. Self-seeded, as far as I could tell, so must have been happy to choose that spot...

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 07:45:37 »
The small orange Montbretia is an invasive weed that will thrive there. The taller ones like "lucifer" prefer a bit of light..  :)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 08:36:22 »
Second what Dad's said....has the smaller orange one (the invasive one) got a separate latin name?

Just take on board the warning about the invasive nature of it, and it'll do fine in those conditions, but you've read the warning here! Having given that, I manage to contain the clumps, after a fashion, at the end of the season when I clean up the dead growth & remove bulbs as well, or, like now, at the beginning of their growing season, but the soil will still be 'infested' with teeny bulbils.

hellohelenhere

• Hectare
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • http://backgardenallotmenteer.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 10:00:06 »
It was the orange variety in my old garden, too. Also, it seems to have established itself rather vigorously in my aunt's garden at the foot of the hedge, also in a shady spot.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal