Author Topic: Growing Leeks from seed?  (Read 7803 times)

pjb

• Quarter Acre
Growing Leeks from seed?
« on: March 17, 2009, 08:40:51 »
Does anybody have any tips on growing Leeks from seed? Last year (my first season with an allottment) I grew some Leeks from small plants I bought, these grew great. I also grew some from seed, these are still in the ground and have reached the astounding thickness of a pencil!

This year I want to grow from seed only but I (obviously) want  a fair chance of success, any tips on seed type? well manured soil? etc...

Thanks.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Growing Leeks from seed?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 08:43:06 »
Dead easy, I've just pricked out 300... choose a variety sow shallow in a tray of compost/3" pot depending on how many you want. Keep damp prick out about two weeks later into cells and grow on..  ;D

pjb

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 09:47:58 »
What would cause Leeks to grow to such a small size? they look healthy enough but they are the size of spring onions! (maybe I did plant spring onions   ;D)

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 10:01:35 »
I also have a row of tiny keeks from last year .  I think I had a little flower pot  of them left over after transplanting the best ones out , and I just put these out later ...wont they just grow on into bigger leeks now spring is here  ?    :) Debs
Trespassers will be composted !

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 12:58:02 »
I also have a row of tiny keeks from last year .  I think I had a little flower pot  of them left over after transplanting the best ones out , and I just put these out later ...wont they just grow on into bigger leeks now spring is here  ?    :) Debs

They might get a bit bigger, but they are biennials so they will always go to seed in their second season. The centre of the leek changes into a hard stem that grows out of the top of the plant and produces a large (white) flower head. Quite pretty but the stem gets woody and almost inedible.
It does not happen over night though and you can pick any plants that appear to be going to seed before they get too woody in the middle (the central hard stem is ok to eat).
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 14:37:31 »
Knowing the variety would help as variety can play a large part in how winter tolerant they are.

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Leeks/Leeks.htm

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 15:49:09 »
Judging from your notes TeeGee, I've been under-preparing the bed for leeks  - I I didn't realise leeks liked quite so much food. Probably why last year's were feeble.

Thanks  :)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 20:44:48 »
 I chuck about 30 seeds in a 3" pot.  They have taken 3 weeks to germinate this year due to the cold weather.  When they grow to about 6 inches tall I transplant them into their final growing position and just leave them to get on with it.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 20:49:12 »
Same here - I'll sow mine this week and dependant on variety (usually grow 2 or 3 types to spread the harvest a bit) I get some late autumn ones and some which overwinter - still picking ones I sowed this time last year.

I leave a few to go to seed as the bees like them so much.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 21:07:57 »
As I said earlier I prick them out and grow them on, then put them in the ground where the early spuds come out... similarly still eating last years...  ;D

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 04:23:13 »
They are lovely for eating when tiny, some posh shops charge a lot for them.

Trouble is, you do need a lot to make a meal. Part of a stir fry or as a mix with other vegetables, steamed.

You can chop them and mix with grated cheese in a sandwich, just like spring onions.

So please, don't waste them because they are little.

pjb

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 08:20:11 »
They are lovely for eating when tiny, some posh shops charge a lot for them.

Trouble is, you do need a lot to make a meal. Part of a stir fry or as a mix with other vegetables, steamed.

You can chop them and mix with grated cheese in a sandwich, just like spring onions.

So please, don't waste them because they are little.

No waste here, we ate half of them last night!  :)

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 08:52:14 »
People say leeks are easy but I've had mixed results in the past year, probably because the soil wasn't consistently rich enough.  Even so, the smaller ones still made a tasty meal.

I've incorporated a lot of organic matter into the site designated for leeks this year. Ensuring the soil retains moisture seems to be key, so my clay soil with organic matter added should be ideal. A sandy soil would not be suitable.

I trimmed the roots before putting the seedlings into their planting positions, but (as Tee Gee says) this was probably not necessary and I won't be doing it this time.

I sowed some seeds in a tray 3 days ago and will be pricking them out into pots when they're large enough to handle and growing them on in the cold frame until they're about 8 in tall before popping them into their holes.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Becca

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 21:42:21 »
Hi first time growing leeks. Currently they are in a seed trays in cold greenhouse. Someone told me they should be outside but the greenhouse gets fairly cold at night still. Should i leave them be till ready to transplant?

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 21:50:56 »
I read on another site where someone used a cat litter tray for sowing leaks & the seeds were planted singly. The tray held 96 seeds & when they were the thickness of a pencil they were transplanted.
Janet

Gobby

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 23:20:19 »
I've got mine in one large seed try have about 50 in it and will leave them in till the early spuds come out.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 16:24:10 »
Hi Becca,
Welcome to the site... they don't really need to be in the greenhouse but will grow on stronger for it. Keep them there until you need the space, about next week...  ;D

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2009, 19:38:30 »
I am a lazy blighter i spread the seed in plant pots of about 6 to 8" in depth and dont pot them on.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal