Author Topic: Digital SLR  (Read 8928 times)

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Digital SLR
« on: March 14, 2009, 16:13:30 »
Am thinking of buying one. I have a compact digital camera and love it, but I want to take more wildlife shots and get better at it all. Anyone got any suggestions for a good SLR for a beginner?

???

Simba42

• Half Acre
    • Jen's Allotment
Re: Digital SLR
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 19:12:44 »
You really only have 2 options Canon or Nikon. there are other, eg sony but they and wannabies. The other question is how much do you wanna spend.

You are better to spend more on a good body and upgrade lenses at a later date. There's lots second hand on ebay. and often cheaper if you import from Japan.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 19:48:02 »
My OH has the Canon (I remember he and Simba comparing notes at Barnsdale!- what a lovely day that was!)

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 20:29:00 »
depends on how much you want to spend really but simba42 is right canon or nikon, me im in the nikon camp i think the feel of the nikon is not as plasticie and cheap as the canon, but my cousin is a pro photographer and he is canon all the way. i have nikon d90 having started out with a d70 but its all down to how much you want to spend and which of the 2 brands takes your fancy.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 20:46:07 »
I have a Canon 40D...at the moment I would say Nikon is ahead of Canon. However once you have bought lots of lenses for your model it makes it difficult to change. I am very happy with Canon, I had a 20D before this one and a film version before that.

M.S.gardener

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 21:01:16 »
iv'e got a nikon d50, i chose nikon for the lense option ,take a twenty year old lense and it still fits ,don't know about cannon's never had one!!

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 21:19:58 »
My wee brother loves his digital Nikon & gets fantastic results... We still use the good old 35mm Canon 40E, might go digital one day. We'd probably stay with Canon just to keep the lenses.

Slightly straying, but I was sat on the bus beside someone who had a silver Leica M8 the other day. I'd love an M7, not sure if I'd shell out £4k for an M8 though, even though it is pure beauty.

hellohelenhere

• Hectare
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • http://backgardenallotmenteer.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 21:48:26 »
I really love my Canon 350D, with a Tamron 28-75mm lens. I was advised against getting the 'kit' lenses, the ones you buy with the camera in an all-in deal - because they're usually pretty kak. The Tamron lens is nice and sharp and the best I could find for the money, about 250 quid.
However, for wildlife, I'm finding my Canon Powershot S5IS to be much more useful, because it has a really great zoom, for the price.
If you look at these pics, you can see wildlife pics taken with both. (It tells you, under 'additional info', what camera was used).
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34242198@N00/sets/72157606354331592/
Some of them, like the ospreys, show fairly low quality, where I have cropped shots were already at the full extent of the optical zoom - in that case, I was also in a moving boat, and the light was not great! The pics of the bullfrog show what the lens can do in more favourable conditions. I couldn't have got nearly so close up with my Tamron lens.
If I was a professional, of course I'd invest in huge great tele-lenses - but I simply can't afford it, and also, I don't want to lug around lots of equipment, and be switching lenses around. The Powershot really meets my requirements very well. It also does great macro!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34242198@N00/2354807007/in/set-72157604214695012/
And good quality video:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34242198@N00/2478149015/in/set-72157604962824172/

What I like it least for, is landscape. I don't much like the 'texture' it gives, for that, and much prefer my 350D, or even my old Nikon compact, which has a nice 'soft' texture which works well with landscape. Would have linked to an example, but I seem to have taken those down.
On Flickr, you can search for pics by any given camera. It doesn't tell you the lens, though... but could still be informative.

Simba42

• Half Acre
    • Jen's Allotment
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 21:59:09 »
Barnsdale.. thats going back a few years..

Yes im a Canon follower. But only because i had canon 35mm film and wanted to keep my lenses. I now have 3 canons backs and multiple lenses which i use for weddings and portraits.

If you can afford it the best Canon you can get is the 5d Mk2 for price and spec. but it's £2k body only.

You can get the Canon 450D  for under £500 with a lens kit. You have to go to a shop and try it for size. I dont get on well with the smaller bodies as i have huge hands.. and fat fingers... makes for pressing smal buttons and dials hard.

Is there another meet up this year?

hellohelenhere

• Hectare
  • Reading, Berkshire
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 23:47:51 »
I dont get on well with the smaller bodies as i have huge hands..
I love the Canon for the related reason, that I have small hands and it fits perfectly! :)  My only gripe really with the Canon 350D body is that my nose sometimes switches the button that changes from single shot, to multiple shot, to timer. Not that I have a big nose, just an average one... :D
Oh and also that it hangs at a slightly uncomfortable 45 degree angle, they put the strap rings in the wrong place.

gb990

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 07:15:07 »
Like everyone else has said, it all depends on how much you want to spend. I have recently bought my first DSLR, a Nikon D40, only £242 on Amazon, which I didnt think was too bad. It takes great photos, but only has 6.1 mp so prints any bigger that A4 is a no no.

Mammoth Onion

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 11:28:14 »
I'm very happy with my Panasonic FZ50, it does exactly what it says on the tin ;D. Also gives you the option to override all the automatic settings if you need to.Had some great pictures from a variety of settings, particularly good outside for sporting competitions. Is available now for under £400, I paid over £500 for mine :'(

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 11:35:45 »
After 20+ years with Canon EOS systems I have recently bought an Olympus E420 as I wanted a digital slr with a compact size.

The reviews have been brilliant throughout the press and I agree completely - you can buy it in a twins lens kit for just shy of £400 but beware as many camera manufacturers are really hiking up prices atm - some by 30-40%!
Best laid plans and all that

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 12:36:45 »
You really only have 2 options Canon or Nikon. there are other, eg sony but they and wannabies. The other question is how much do you wanna spend.

I own a Sony Alpha 100 SLR....and it's certainly not a wannabe. Sony took over Minolta and upgraded their labs. They had the sense to retain the Minolta lens fitting so all the lenses from my Minolta Dynax are compatable with the Sony mount.
 My son has the latest Canon (lousy grip on it!) and I'll pit my Sony against it any day. Check out some of my pic's on here.
Ken.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2009, 16:29:00 »
 ;D

Thanks for all the info folks. Have gone with the Canon EOS, I have small hands!!
Once I work out how to use the b***** I will post some pics!!

;)

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2009, 17:07:31 »
I recommend using sigma lenses rather than canon as they're almost as good and cheaper.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2009, 19:25:04 »
Sigma (and -my opinion- slightly less so Tamron) are both good lenses for general work. If you're looking to do detailed macro or pro work, pay the extra.

hellohelenhere

• Hectare
  • Reading, Berkshire
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2009, 22:01:03 »
I bought a Sigma lens first and then took it back and traded it for the Tamron. I found the Sigma a little tiny bit less sharp. Also, if I remember rightly, it was a little stiff at zooming. But it might have been the individual one I had, I don't know! Certainly in reviews, they seemed about neck-and-neck.
I've never regretted choosing the Canon EOS, though. Love it. :)

Simba42

• Half Acre
    • Jen's Allotment
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2009, 22:17:52 »
I agree that for the price Sigma and Tamron and others are good for the price. But i have a had 4 Sigma Lenses over the last years and 2 of which have not lasted more that 2 years of use.

Both times the diaphragm has gone.  Different Lenses. I sent one away for repair. £100 later it came back working, but clonking on the zoom.

Personally now I don't trust Sigma.

Simba42

• Half Acre
    • Jen's Allotment
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2009, 22:31:11 »
;D

Thanks for all the info folks. Have gone with the Canon EOS, I have small hands!!
Once I work out how to use the b***** I will post some pics!!

;)

What one did you get?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal