Author Topic: Screening for unsightly pots  (Read 1015 times)

minxy

• Not So New ...
Screening for unsightly pots
« on: March 13, 2009, 16:14:10 »
Hi

I have been a member for a while but I am only now getting started properly this year!

I have created some raised beds in my garden however I didn't want to use up lots of space in these for potatoes so on the advice of a friend I am using old tyres lined with bin liners to create my pots for my potatoes. However they look a little unsightly in the garden.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can turn them into a nice feature to have standing in the garden!!

All ideas welcome, thank you very much.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
Re: Screening for unsightly pots
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 16:23:21 »
Nick some tyre covers from the local chelsea tractors  :)

Seriously, perhaps just a lick of e.g. dark green paint would make them easier on the eye, or tie some hazel edging round them.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 16:42:41 »
yep i was about to suggest paint as well, you could also wrap some willow/ bamboo screen around them or plant some annual flowers in front of them.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 17:11:47 »
Hiya, minxy, welcome to the site  ;D
we painted our tyres white when we first got them, they loked ok, or, as suggested, bamboo screening  :)

minxy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 17:21:25 »
Thanks for the replies, I had thought of painting as an option and my 7yr old daughter suggested painting flowers on them, good idea but I will let her do that one!!

Bamboo screening also V good idea, I will look into that tomorrow, thanks again  ;D

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 20:36:55 »
Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can turn them into a nice feature to have standing in the garden!!

Chrome bumpers maybe.  :P

OK I going.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 21:22:00 »
Hi Minxy, we put lots of twigs in front of our very unsightly water tank & i have put lots of Ivy cutting & later i am planting sweet peas to hide it with also .

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 21:27:53 »
Welcome to the site Minxy..
you could do some trailing nasturtiums or other trailers but they couldn't go in until you had filled up the tyres so the screening is probably a better idea...
 ;D

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 14:39:07 »
...think big fat fruit polos with the lovely green of the potato foliage 8)..yep I'd say paint them....red...yellow...blue...?? And your daughter would LOVE to do it, I bet 8)

I've screened my garden Dalek tho, by erecting a screen of cut to length pieces of cane in a wide trellis & covered it with Wilkos chicken wire. Gonna grow stuff up it, but that's its permanent position, tho...mentioned it cos it might spark off some ideas for you :-\

Oh, and welcome!..almost forgot to say that, wot with thorts of Fruit Polos anorl ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal