Author Topic: Growing peas  (Read 4326 times)

jellied

• Not So New ...
Growing peas
« on: March 12, 2009, 16:17:03 »
Thought I'd give peas a go this year but am struggling with the supports.

The books I have allude to using twigs and / or netting, but do not say how high to have it nor any real photographs.

Can any one show me what they use? I have a look around the site today and couldn't spot anything obvious, so maybe no one grows them or it's still early.

If nothing else I'd like to the gear bought ahead of time.

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
Re: Growing peas
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 16:25:43 »
Depends what peas you're growing. Dwarf earlies don't need much at all, just a few twigs pushed in the ground at angles. (I use pruned bits from my apple trees.)

But the main-crop need very tall & firm supports. I've got four-foot beds, so I've made a number of supports consisting of a rigid wire panel about 4 foot by five (obviously it's metric, but I don't do that!) stapled to two stout uprights. I sow the peas in a 4 foot length of guttering and plant them across the bed, against a support. Then netting goes over the whole lot to protect them from the pigeons.

Sorry - can't add a photo. Paypal wouldn't take my money when I tried to renew!

And peas can't read! If it says on the packet, "Grows to 4 foot," don't believe a word; 5 or 6 is nearer the mark!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 16:27:40 »
If you grow proper "tall" peas you need 6-8' canes and netting...
Alderman is probably the only one you'll find in mainstream catalogues.
I don't bother with anything under 6'..
If you want some "heritage" ones to bulk up I could send you a lucky bag  ;D

Hosta

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 16:32:43 »
I too am growing peas for the first time, have bought Kelvedon Wonder.
Dwarf Early crop - so how tall should these twigs be ? 

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 17:18:24 »
18" to 3' ish   depends how much you put in the ground...  :)

pippy

• Acre
  • North Notts Allotments!
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 17:38:43 »
I do kelvedon wonder peas with very minimal staking as they are only 18 - 24 ins tall.

I simply draw out a trench with a spade and chuck them in the ground, then move them about so they are about 1-2 ins apart scattered in the trench.  Then cover with half to an inch of soil or compost and wait ... about 2-3 weeks.

When they start to come through you need to keep pigeons off - I use cd's on string and that sort of thing, some folks net.  To stake them push a 2-3 ft stake in the ground either side of the trench at about 3ft intervals, then wind garden twine around the posts in a rectangle, then cross-wise in the middle.  You need to do the twine a couple of times, further up the post as they grow, but the 1-2 inch density means they cling together.

Some people have problems with pea seeds being eaten by mice and soak them in paraffin before planting.  Also it's a bit early for Kelvedon yet - I will be doing my first batch early April.

Welcome and best of luck with them!  They rarely get to the kitchen, I warn you  ;D ;D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs ....

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 17:45:33 »
A lot depends upon the variety as others have mentioned.

I use fence mesh as seen here in pics 11 & 12

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Peas/Peas/peas.html

ps When I checked the link I found I have made an error, see if you can find the deliberate mistake.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 18:21:38 »
looks great.  Can you give more details on the mesh.  Did some googling and got confused.  How b.ig are the squares and is it plas tis or plstic covered wire?  Did you buy it online?

Hosta

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 18:57:19 »
Thanks Pippy for the reply and full explanation - I know what to do now  :)

Thanks for the link TeeGee  :)

Buster54

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 19:38:34 »
Alot of plot holders use this netting with the metal fence pins.I used this netting and 3x4'stakes last year with 2 8ft canes across the top looked like a tennis court net
http://www.uktapes-ltd.com/ukt15.htm  :-*
I'm not the Messiah - I'm a very naughty boy."

jellied

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 20:34:32 »
Thanks everyone - that's so much clearer! Quite why my books didn't put it as clear as this remains a mystery.

I've got Friday off so tomorrow is putting some seeds in pots ready for later in the year.

Hosta

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 20:41:39 »
Me too Jellied  :)  We can compare notes !!

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 21:07:14 »
I too am growing peas for the first time, have bought Kelvedon Wonder.

I only ever use Kelvedon Wonder, I grow them up four foot canes with string from cane to cane (see left of picture) and have never had a problem.

Hosta

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 21:37:02 »
That makes all the difference seeing a picture of them - thanks MickW  :)

I am glad I chose that variety now  :)

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 21:39:51 »

I am glad I chose that variety now  :)

Either I haven't grown enough varieties or Kelvedon Wonder is one of the sweetest. I grow it every year, and it never makes it back home...  ;D

PS and at 19p per packet (Netto) you can't go wrong.
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2009, 07:54:35 »
If the packet says the pea grows 2ft I always add another to the supports to allow extra growth. I use pig wire to support dwarf peas (its the wire most farmers use to fence field, I grow tow types of peas Onward which will be in this weekend if the weather holds and then in about a month`s time Hurst Greenshaft which is my favourite. For tall peas I grow alderman and perfection and they go on 10ft sticks with polypropylene string between the sticks to give the peas added suppport.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2009, 08:44:00 »
I only grow tall peas, and use wigwams of 8-foot canes with string spiralled round for the tendrils to cling to. Shorter peas are easier; you can rig something up with canes and netting.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2009, 12:39:59 »
How b.ig are the squares and is it plas tis or plstic covered wire?  Did you buy it online?

To answer your question; 4" tall 3" wide approx. The wire is plastic coated in this case but non plastic coated will do equally as well.

Prior to retiring I worked part time for a fencing contractor so I had access to many types. Generally I would get 'roll ends' at a knock down price.

If I had to buy some today I would follow Power spades advice (pig or sheep netting) it is the cheapest option from new!

Quite why my books didn't put it as clear as this remains a mystery.

Probably written by someone who has read about supporting peas but never grown them ::) ::)

But as you see from the selection of answers given there are many ways of supporting peas & beans in the end it might just come down to what materials you have at hand.

The pea stick idea is a very old idea and was used simply because they were readily available from coppiced trees and hedges and were most important of all...........free!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal