Author Topic: seed info help please  (Read 791 times)

spudsmummy

• Half Acre
seed info help please
« on: March 12, 2009, 09:50:48 »
hi there
i have brought a few seeds from a seller on ebay, they have arrived but there is no info to go with them.
would some one please be able to give me sowing time, planting time and care info for:

Baby boo pumpkins and marvel of venice climbing bean.

thank you
Paula

6.5 rod plot in southampton, just me and my 2yr old son, hehe       

Kea

• Hectare
Re: seed info help please
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 11:08:11 »
If you have somewhere under cover you could get the pumpkins going early May for planting out in June perhaps a little earlier if you can cover them up...just the same as all other squash/pumpkins.

When sowing plant the seed into the compost on it's side as there is a possibility the seed may rot if you plant on the flat side. You can chit the seed by putting it on a piece of moist kitchen towel and placing it in your cylinder cupboard, it takes about 2 days but you need to be careful when planting that you don't knock the radicle off when planting. I sow into large sized peat pots to avoid root disturbance when I plant them out.

When planting out the distance depends on the expected size of the plant so I can't help you there but dig a hole (again the bigger the expected size of the plant the bigger the hole) about a spades depth by 12"-18" square and fill that with compost/well rotted manure cover over with the soil making a mound with a depression in the top and plant your pumpkin into that and water well until established.

Don't forget to mark the centre of the plant with a cane so you know where to water when the plant gets big.

i assume you plant the bean like a French bean so it would go out the same time roughly but someone may have grown this one and be able to tell you.

spudsmummy

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 11:35:17 »
thank you for the reply.

i was thinking that they would be the same as other squash and french beans but thought i had better check. i managed to find info out on all the other seeds i got apart from these 2.

thanks again
6.5 rod plot in southampton, just me and my 2yr old son, hehe       

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 11:36:32 »
There is a CFB "Marvel of Venice" so treat it like the others...  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal