Author Topic: very busy lizzies  (Read 2885 times)

chrispea

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments4All
very busy lizzies
« on: September 07, 2004, 07:11:55 »
 ??? Has anyone successfully saved seed from impatiens.
They seem to be popping pods all over the shop the little devils!

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
Re:very busy lizzies
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004, 08:59:48 »
No Chris never tried to be honest.  It isnt worth me growing them from seed. I usually buy my busy lizzies from B+Q £3 something for 36 plants (which I usually get more out of by taking cuttings from them) For that price (and the amount I use) it isnt worth the amount of space they take up in the greenhouse to grow them myself.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004, 09:25:20 »
Hi chrispea

I collect busy lizzie seeds every year - I love doing this as you never know which colours you are going to get each year as the bees cross pollinate them.  A tip from Alan Titchmarsh - put them in the fridge over winter (I usually put them in a small paper bag and then into a plastic container with all my other collected seeds).  Since I have been doing this, I have had many more germinating seeds than when I just used to keep them in my greenhouse.  Well worth doing I think - loads of freebies :D

Pat
Happy gardening all...........Pat

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2004, 23:32:08 »
I too collect the seeds every year and they are so easy to grow why buy plants unless its the specials your after.
Not for the faint hearted as the pods are fat firmly grab between finger and thumb and dont let go untill inside a paper bag they pop with force.
Let them dry out and either put inside a envelope or paper bag and leave in a cool place untill spring and sow the colours will come true and with a few surprises.
if there is one you realy like pot it up and have it as a house plant over winter and take cuttings in the spring a glass of water and root will show in no time.
Teresa

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal