Author Topic: What are your allotment rules on water?  (Read 9933 times)

cacran

• Hectare
What are your allotment rules on water?
« on: March 10, 2009, 16:53:06 »
Our allotment has water. The ain tap is by the gate then each plot has it's own tap. When we have finished using the water we have to turn it off at both taps. I think that is fair so don't have a problem.
When I got the allotment the water was on all year, not that I use it much as I have plenty of water butts. Last year when I wanted to wash out my greenhouse, on May day holiday, the water was off,even at the main gate tap. I asked the woman who collects the rent and she said that she didn't know why and that perhaps this guy who had fixed a leak during winter had turned it off at the mains. She said she did not know where the mains was and that the guy had gone away. She promised she would look into it. On his return she confirmed that it had been off at the mains and he had a special key to turn it on.  Sounds to me as though he is self appointed at taking charge of the water.
Today I decided to clean out my greenhouse ready to sow some seeds. Same scenario............. I saw the woman who said that the same guy was turning it off during the winter months and only turning it back on at Easter. I said that was fine but I hadn't been told that. She said it was not up to her to tell everyone that that was whathad been decided. She said that people wash out their greenhouses from water from water butts. Is it safe to do that, will the bugs be killed that way?
Just want a few views as I am cross. Incidentaly this woman seems to tell every plot holder everybodies business but fails to give us any proper news. >:(

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
Re: What are your allotment rules on water?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 17:05:50 »
We don't have taps. There are water butts (with ballcocks) on or near most plots, so you dunk your can in. No hosepipes allowed, as we are metered.

The water is normally turned off during the winter. At the weekend, I did a test run by turning it on and checking for leaks, then in the next week or two it will go on permanently. But we have an automatic timer, which turns it on in the morning and off in the evening. If necessary, we can over-ride it. (Several of the Committee have keys to the box.)

Seems to work. (Except when someone puts their spade through the pipe!!)

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 17:15:47 »
I know we are lucky to have taps. The problem is that it is a privately run allotment. The only person who has any contact with the owner is this particular woman. She is the one who tells us what the rent/ water rates are. Ours is on a meter too, or so I am to believe. This guy who has taken charge of the water seems to have his own rules. We have a rule that says the main gate has to be kept locked at all times. It seems that it is except when this guy is at the allotment, he leaves it open for his convenience, He shouted at me when I went through it one day and tried to lock it behind me, funny though, he never saw me come back through. He is the only one who as been burgled so what he is thinking I do not know. Some of the oldies ar a pain in the proverbial!!!

SPUDLY

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 17:24:01 »
We dont have water at our site, apart from what i can collect in the water butt (1000 litre IBC) from the shed roof. We put the IBC on the plot in october last year and its already holding 900 litres from a shed roof 8' by 4'. But then we dont have much of anything here. We rent straight from the council and are left to get on with it.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 17:32:35 »
We have taps, on a timer..any committee can override it.  :)
Can use hoses but not sprinklers..  :-X

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 17:37:41 »
We have taps around one site, though there are troughs and most people have water butts.  The water is unmetered and switched off October till April. 

On our other site, smaller council run we have two taps between the eight plots.  Water is on all the year round and is unmetered.
The Tuscan Beaneater

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 17:56:22 »
We have taps but we cannot use hoses
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 18:02:07 »
What you think about washing out greenhouse with water from butts?

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 18:10:44 »
We have taps, above metal water butts, all around the site -  one for every 6 or so plots. We can use hoses but are urged not to waste water. The supply is turned off over the winter. Most people have their own water butts as well.
Keep Calm and Carry On

SPUDLY

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 18:53:01 »
Most people i know with greenhouses use jayes fluid to clean it with. If the waterbutt is covered i.e not a lot of cr@p floating in it, i would use it mixed with the jayes and give it a good scrub

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 19:06:20 »
No taps on our site (not that I've found anyhow), just some rather skanky troughs. Removed a load of algae from one of them last year but its grown back with a vengeance!

We are not supposed to use hoses, but there isnt anywhere to fit one anyhow. Someone suggested siphoning the water out of the trough instead, which might be possible at the bottom of my plot.

Not sure how you are supposed to water a whole allotment without a hose?!

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 19:08:24 »
We have taps all over the allotment but not at each plot just the main paths. Hoses are not meant to be used.
Water is turned off in October and they let us know two weeks before it was turned off to give us time to fill the water butts.

Neil

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 20:38:49 »
At least they let you know things, Nilly. My main beef is that I was not told about this new system. Gossip is rife at the lottie, but information, not.
When is the water switched back on then?
Ours will not be on until Easter which is April and I wanted to get all my seeds planted in my clean greenhouse. Don't think that is unreasonable., do you?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 20:44:22 by cacran »

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 20:41:26 »
Spudley, I have no problem with using the water with the Jeyes fluid to wash it down, but I thought it had to then be rinsed off with clean water. Is this right or do you just leave the Jeyes on to dry?

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 20:50:38 »
We have no mains water.  We have cast-iron hand pumps that we sink ourselves to tap into the water table.  We have approx. 1 pump per 10 plots,  The pumps are taken off before the first hard frost and go on again after the risk of hard frosts has passed.  Obviously no hosepipes so we water our plots by pumping to fill our watering cans as many times as it takes.  Keeps you fit and no wasted water.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2009, 21:05:34 »
We use BST to decide when the water is on... it lengthens the evenings so people are on the site doing things after work so need the water...  :-\

SPUDLY

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2009, 22:14:19 »
Hi Cacran,

Think it would be best to rinse with clean. No help i know if you have none on site.

Squash63

• Half Acre
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 06:37:10 »
Our site is owned by the Council and self-managed by us.  We have 12 taps around the site so each plot has easy access.  We are only allowed (by the Council) to use the water to fill water butts, we can't water the plot with a hose or use a sprinkler.  The water is metered.

Most plotholders stick to the rules but I know that some of them come in the evenings and use a hose.

We used to turn off the water during the winter to prevent the pipes from freezing up but since we had all our metal pipes stolen (!) and replaced by plastic, this doesn't seem to be a problem any more.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham
www.growit.ik.com

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2009, 07:53:20 »
We have 5 water tanks (each with a tap on the side) plus 2 standpipes. This serves 53 plots.

The use of a hose is allowed so long as a person is in attendance ... I assume that at some point in the dim and distant past some plot holders had put the hose on and disappeared for several hours.

Plot holders are obviously encouraged to be frugal in their use of water, which is metered.

The water is on from mid-March to mid-October (roughly).

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2009, 08:56:50 »
We have taps scattered round the lane. The Council has been complaining about the cost, as it's metered, and bans hosepipes except to fill water containers. The rule is widely ignored.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal